Mary Crawley- Pregnancy (c)

As the daughter of the Earl of Grantham you were forced to live a specific way, to not allow anything to ruin that image. You were expected to marry rich, even if love wasn't involved, told to remain chaste and to keep up an image of purity and beauty as to make sure you held onto a bright and wealthy future that your parents wanted for you.

You didn't understand why that was what your life was to be. You wished to find love and passion, be with someone who you knew cared for you as a person, not for the name and title you possessed.

For a while you had hidden the fact you were in love with a man. The two of you met secretly daily and you wished you would be able to marry him and be able to share a future. However, you were told to only marry nobility and he was the son of a farmer. You would consider him the most noble man you knew, but due to lacking a title you knew your father would never permit your union.

You hoped to have a while to come up with a way to reveal your relationship to your family, but you hand was forced when you had to go to Dr Clarkson. He revealed to you that your recent sickness, which you assumed was from bad food (not that you'd have ever said such a thing to Mrs Patmore), was actually due to pregnancy. You begged his silence, and he agreed for a short while, meaning you did not have long to figure out how to admit you had been having a secret relationship with your family's footman, William.

It terrified you to know you were to be a mother, especially when you were sure your family would disown you and fire William, leaving you to have no money or anyway to support your child.

Even though you knew that you should tell William straight away, you were too scared. You needed to turn to your sister, your twin sister.

You had never been the closest with Mary. You always got along with Edith and Sybil better, due to most of your life being brought up with a competition between you for everything. However, you knew Mary was the only one you could tell whom would not be able to tell anyone else of what was going on. Due to her infidelity with Mr Pamuk, if she were to tell your father about your relationship with William, you would tell him about the truth behind where Mr Pamuk died.

Knocking the wood of your sister's bedroom door, you were petrified by the fact that in moments you would admit all the lies you had told of the recent years.

The door opened to reveal Anna, the lady's maid for yourself and Mary.

"Afternoon, my Lady," She smiled.

"Hello Anna, could I speak with my sister please?" You smiled softly, trying to make it seem as though nothing was wrong.

You got along well with Anna and she knew of your relationship with William, but she promised she would never tell anyone.

"Of course."

With that Anna left the room, leaving you alone with Mary whom was sat at her vanity.

"Y/N?" Mary asked, moving her hair out of her face.

"Mary, I need to speak with you," you said softly, taking a seat at the end of her bed.

"What have I done now?" She sighed.

You shook your head, looking down at your hands.

She turned in her seat, giving you a sympathetic look.

"What's wrong sister?"

"I have done something that you shall not agree with. Something that Papa will never forgive me for. But even still I do not regret my decisions, I just do not know what to do now."