three

I huffed as I sat my tray of food down at my usual table with my four best friends.

"What crawled up your arse?" my 16 year old friend Cher asked with a playful grin.

"Nothing, it's just- Zayn." I sighed and set my head down in the table, not having much of an appetite. I could practically hear the frown in Liam's voice when he said,

"What about Zayn?" Cher shoved him and rolled her eyes.

"Is it not obvious? Am I the only one who can see she fancies him?" I blushed, recognizing the British term 'fancy' as 'crushing'. "Aw, look! She's blushing!" she giggled and I glared at her.

"Shut up Cher." I sighed again, "It's just, he likes Perrie - it's so obvious - and I'm like chopped liver over here." Harry wrinkled his nose.

"Liver is the worst." Liam smacked him upside the head and chided him. "What did I do?" he asked in his deep Cheshire voice. I rolled my eyes and rubbed my face. "If it's any constellation though, love, I'm pretty sure he fancies you." I widened my eyes about to protest, but he cut me off, "I can see it in his eyes, Ali. The constant touching-"

"We're just best friends, Harold."

"The way he looks at you-"

"Alright, that's enough!" I huffed out, overly annoyed at him and the rest of my friends. I guess it wasn't a secret that I liked Zayn. Everyone seemed to know- except, him of course. Speak of the devil,

"What's enough?" His deepening voice rang out around the table. I turned to look at him and he grinned widely at me, sitting next to my with his arm around my neck. "How you been, love?" I looked at him confused.

"You saw me last period?" I said in a 'duh' tone. He sheepishly smiled, blushing and squeezing my shoulder to his. I returned to my food, barely picking at it. I felt multiple gazes on me and looked up.

Cher had a knowing look on her face as she ate her salad. I rolled my eyes when she caught my eye and winked ever so non-chalantly [sarcasm]. Liam was being oblivious and texting someone; probably his best friend Andy, who was moving away. I then met Harry's stare as he smirked at me. I blushed under his gaze, wondering why he was looking like that.

I went to look at Zayn, but he was already staring at me. I recoiled at our proximity; we were so close I could feel his hot breath on my cheek and lips. I wanted to look away, but I couldn't- caught in his stare.

"Oh just snog already," Harry announced, and I awkwardly shrugged Zayn's arm off my shoulder.

"Whatever," I stood to go throw away my uneaten lunch as Liam shoved Harry off his seat. I ran into my friend Niall as I neared the trash can.

As we chatted, I saw Zayn storm out of the cafeteria. I was confused, but disregarded it, only for a second.

"Excuse me, Ni. I need to go check on something." He looked in the direction Zayn went and smirked.

" 'Course. Good luck." And with that he walked off, leaving me gaping behind him. Does everyone think we're in love or something?! Psh, the odds of that happening. Like, one in a thousand chances he would ever even like me like that. I scowled and rushed over to my table.

"Uh, what's wrong with Zayn?"

"Another, erm, freak out." My breathing hitched.

"Over what?"

"He uh, said he was just, done." I raked a hand through my hair and sped off after him.

"Zayn?" I called out to the empty hallways. "Zayn! Where are you, Z?" I ran to his usual spot, where I- unsurprisingly- found him curled up into a little ball in the corner of the hallway. "Zayn, talk to me."

He was non-responsive.

I bit my lip and tried again, "Zayn?" he slowly looked at me but didn't say anything. I just sat next to him and hugged him. Gradually he relaxed into my touch, and his labored breathing slowed to normal. "What was it this time?" I asked softly. He nervously looked at me,

"N-nothing," he whispered. I pursed my lips but nodded.

"Okay." The bell rang and I helped him up from his spot, and he was quiet as we walked the halls. "I'll see you after class?" I asked. He paused.

"Okay."

And we went separate ways.

><

><

><

you guys i swear it gets better. it's supposed to be confusing at first. thank you to those of you reading (: please vote and i hope you enjoyed! x.