eighteen

I shifted in my seat, slightly uncomfortable, as Zayn sat back down with Perrie at his side. She smiled at me,

"Hey, Als. Fancy seeing you here," I gave my best smile and replied,

"Well I'm not about to pass up an offer to the best cooking in the world," I shrugged and Trisha thanked me.

"Mum does have some pretty spectacular cooking," Zayn commented, whom I disregarded and focused on Perrie.

"So how've you been, Per?" she answered,

"Eh, pretty good I guess. I'm off tour now as well, and overall I'm exhausted," she laughed.

"The Salute tour?" I asked.

"Yup, that's the one." I nodded,

"I listen to your bands' music. I really am in love with your songs," she gave a little gasp.

"Really? What's your favorite?" she questioned, as if I wouldn't be able to name some of their songs. I smirked, knowing I could name most all their songs.

"Hm. Well I like Salute. These Four Walls always makes me cry," I rolled my eyes and she giggled. "Move is my jam," I continued. I thought of the one song that I related to most, and I glanced over at Zayn. "I'd have to say my absolute favorite though is Towers."

"Ah, nice. Thanks hun. My personal favorite is Little Me, or Wings," I nodded in agreement; her and the girls do have amazing songs, and beautiful voices.

"You girls are pretty awesome," I sent her a small smile. Then I asked, "What are you doing now that you're both off tour?" she grinned widely and gazed lovingly at Zayn.

"Well, Zayn and I are engaged. We're planning on getting married sometime next year, soon hopefully. I was hoping it could be in the spring time; maybe in April." She pecked Zayn on the lips and started eating the chicken he placed on her plate for her.

My heart stopped.

Why was I surprised? I mean, I knew they were engaged. So of course they had to get married at some point. Why should I care? I really shouldn't, after all these years. It was bound to happen, and I'm just the girl who dated him back in high school, still hung up on him.

And it hurts.

It stings.

It tears me up, from the inside out. It leaves me wondering what would've happened if he didn't walk in on Olly and I that day, if Harry hadn't've shown up at that exact moment, and maybe if I'd tried to talk to him.

It leaves me with millions of what ifs.

"Ali?" Perrie waved her hand in front of my face and I snapped back to reality. "Did you hear me?" she asked.

"Huh?" I shook my head. "Can you repeat that?" she grinned,

"I was saying," she set down her fork and beamed at me. "Would you like to be my Maid Of Honor?" I stared at her blankly with an open mouth. From the corner of my eye I could see Zayn watching me, gauging my reaction and waiting for my answer.

"I-I," I stuttered. I recomposed myself quickly and smiled, "I'd love to." Safaa, Trisha, and Perrie all squealed around me; Yaser rolling his, Doni glaring at me, and Zayn blankly staring at me.

"This is just perfect!" Trisha cried in glee. "So I take it you're finally over that little crush of yours then?" she nudged me, and I froze.

"Crush?" Perrie and Zayn asked simultaneously.

"Mum!" Doni hissed. Safaa stayed quiet, as did Yaser, which I was quite thankful for. Trisha just shrugged,

"It's just a question. Not going to hurt anyone, right?" she looked at me with a small expectant smile, but I could only gape at her. She took this as a chance to explain. "Alissa dear, no need to be ashamed," she turned to the couple in front of me. "She's had this crush on you, Zayn; always has. But I mean, it was in the past. So I was just wondering if she was over it," she faced me again. "Hm, are you dear?"

I couldn't say anything.

Too many emotions, all at once.

Trisha's face, innocent. Safaa and Yaser's, uncomfortable. Doniyha's, angry. Zayn and Perrie's? Well, Perrie looked uncomfortable, with a touch of betrayal. Zayn looked utterly shocked for a second, then his face was masked with an unreadable expression.

And me? Embarrassed beyond belief. I mean, talk about a mother humiliating you. I felt my face go hot as I blushed deeply, not wanting to meet anyone's gaze.

"I-I, I thought you told me you've been over him," Perrie said in a hurt voice. I looked at my lap and fiddled with my hands.

"Uh oh. Did I do it again?" Trisha asked, biting her lip. Doni rolled her eyes and threw her napkin on the table.

"Yeah, you kind of did, mum. Thanks. Ali doesn't need this," she stood up, pulling me by the hand and dragging me out of the house.

"Where are you going?" I heard someone yell, followed by another voice saying, "Wait, why do you care?" I couldn't register who it was at the moment, but I knew I knew.

"I'm sorry hun," Doni apologized as we walked across the yard into my own home. I shrugged about to protest, but she cut me off. "No, Alissa. Don't say it's okay, or whatever it was I knew you were going to say. You didn't need that back there, and I'm just really sorry me mum can't keep her mouth shut," she rolled her eyes and I smiled a little.

"I uh, it's alright, I guess." Then I sat down, shaking my head and raked a hand through my hair. "No, no it's not really okay. That was absolutely humiliating. D, I just, I don't know," I felt like crying but there were no tears. She sat down beside me and wrapped an arm around me. I stuffed my face into side and let out a shaky breath, mumbling, "Why? Why now, why then, why me?"

"Aw, hun. I'm really sorry," she softly murmured, running her fingers through my hair. "The odds just, aren't ever in your favor right now," she sighed, somewhat quoting one of my favorites books and movies, Hunger Games. I managed a light laugh.

"Gee, thanks." She smirked.

"That's just what I do." I looked up at her and grinned. She opened her mouth to say something else, but was interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Who's that, do you think?" I asked. I moved to get up, but Doniyha pushed me down and went to open the door herself. I stayed right where I was. I heard two voices from the front door area, one of them being Doni's. She called out to the person,

"No, don't you fucking come in here-!" I stood up, startled. I didn't even know what was happening; doors were slamming; voices were yelling, ringing through-out my house. Footsteps echoed through the hallway.

And then suddenly Zayn was storming into my living room.

><

><

><

ookay, that happened. hope you all enjoyed. expect more soon. does anyone like the cover i made (on the sidebar) ? comment! btw, should i start a qotc (question of the chapter) ? comment goal: 5+ comments. vote goal: 210+ votes. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 2.21k READS AND 200+ VOTES !! ILYSM GUYS.

p.s. ONE DIRECTION WON THREE AWARDS AT THE AMAS OMG IM SCREAMING ASDFGHJKL meant to post this days ago but oops commenttt (: x.