seventeen

It took the next two days and a weeks paycheck, but my car was finally fixed, and I was back to work on my own in no time.

I avoided Zayn at all costs the past two days, not looking when he looked at me, and not waving back nor acknowledging his existence. But my rein of revenge was short lived, because on the fourth day of ignoring Zayn Doniyha confronted me.

"Ali, I know what you're doing," she announced in a disappointed voice. I looked at her innocently,

"Whatever do you mean?" She rolled her eyes.

"Avoiding Zayn much? He's noticing it Als, and so am I. You can't do it for long, and you won't do it anymore. Because I'm stopping you- I have an idea," she spoke with a puckish smile on her face.

"Wait, he told you he noticed me avoiding him?" she nodded and I mentally awed at the cuteness- then mentally scolded myself. "And what would that idea be?" I timidly asked. She smirked.

"We're having a family dinner tonight; Me mum, father, sisters, Zayn, and I will all be there. You should come too. In fact, you are going to come. I'll text mum!" she exclaimed with a grin, and her fingers flew over her phone keyboard.

"Um. No. I'm not- I don't want to do that-" I tried to stutter out, but she stopped me.

"Tsk tsk, Ali. You've never turned down a free dinner before?" I glared at her and she shrugged, "Have to get you over one way or another." I huffed.

"Whatever. Does mom even want me their?" I questioned, calling her mother my own because we are just that close. Doni's phone went off and she showed me the text from Trisha, who seemed more than happy to have me over. "Ugh. Why does your mom have to be so nice?" I scoffed and she giggled,

"It's a blessing and a curse," making me roll my eyes. I checked the clock.

"It's already 5, should we head home?"

"Yeah. I'll text Mona, it'll be fine." I shrugged and grabbed my things, locking up the boutique and heading home in my car. I breathed in the familiar scent of my VW Beetle- Vanilla, with a hint of sunshine. Not even kidding.

"I missed you baby," I cooed and patted my dashboard. "It's been four days too long," I chided, and went back to driving. When I arrived, Doniyha was already in my home- my fault for giving her a spare key- and picking out clothes for me to wear.

"You're here!" she exclaimed. "Now, you're going to wear these jeans, with those sandals, and that cute blue top from my boutique; courtesy of me," she flipped her hair dramatically and I laughed, going to get changed.

"Do I look okay?" I asked, coming out fully dressed. She nodded happily and told me to fix up my makeup while she went home to get ready.

She has her own flat, but still has a room in the Malik house. I don't know why Zayn stays in the house though, because I'm pretty sure he has a flat with Perrie somewhere in London or something like that. Anyways, I was just slipping on the sandals Doni grabbed for me when I received a text.

you ready hun? -D x.

I replied with a quick yes and she said I could come over. Since I was just going over to their house, I decided not to bring anything except my phone.

I walked across the yard on the large stones Zayn and I helped put in as teenagers. I smiled to myself at the memories, looking down at the one with our names carved into it. It was halfway across their yard and halfway across my own, right in the middle; as if connecting us in some kind of way.

Continuing walking, I made it to the Malik's front door. I didn't even knock; they're expecting me, and I've been over so many times it doesn't even matter. Closing the door behind me and turning back around, I was met with a gaze held by honey hazel eyes.

"Ali?" Zayn asked. I nodded sheepishly. "I-I didn't know you were gonna be here," he scratched the back of his neck and I shrugged.

"'M not gonna turn down a free meal," he gave me a suspicious look and I blushed, realizing my mistake. I quickly amended, "Especially since it's your mothers cooking. I've always loved her cooking," I gave him a fake smile and brushed past him.

"Uh- oh, o-okay," he stammered in the most absolutely adorable way. We both went to sit in the family room with his father and sisters while Trisha finished making dinner. There was an awkward silence for a second, but Yaser broke it.

"Alissa, how've you been sweetie?" I smiled at him and shrugged, replying,

"I've been good, I guess. You know the usual problems. And then my car-"

"Wait, what usual problems?" Zayn asked. I looked at Doni and shook my head. "Am I the only one who doesn't know?" he asked. Safaa spoke up,

"Yup, pretty much." I stifled a giggle at her blunt statement as Zayn glared.

"Lighten up, Z. It's not your problem anyway, so don't worry," I said, really not wanting him all up in my business. His eyes softened and he almost looked sad, but I turned away to continue talking with Yaser. "So yeah, the usual," I shrugged. He nodded,

"Well I'm sorry to hear that, Alissa. You know, if you ever need help, we're more than happy to-"

"No! No, no, no, a thousand times no. I've told you I don't need the help, I can do it on my own," I sighed exasperatedly.

"I'm just saying, the offer is always open-"

"I don't need the money, Yaser," I spoke through grit teeth. I could feel pairs of eyes on me, and I turned to see Doni shaking her head and Zayn with wide eyes.

"So you are financially unstable," he exclaimed.

"Zayn Javaad Malik!" Trisha snapped, walking into the room. "You do not just go announcing things like that!" he flinched slightly, but held my gaze. I felt small tears gather in my eyes and I quickly brushed them away.

"I'm not financially unstable, Zayn. I'm perfectly capable of keeping my finances in order," I stated weakly. He shook his head,

"Don't bullshit me like that, Ali. I know-"

"No, stop! You don't know! And don't call me Ali, how many times have I asked you?" I snapped at him, standing up. There was a brief silence and Zayn looked down at his lap.

"Dinner's ready," Trisha announced, and we all moved to the table. Yaser was at the head of the table, Trisha on his left and Safaa on his right. I sat next to Trisha, with Doni next to me. Across from me was Zayn, who had an empty seat beside him.

"Is Waliyha coming down?" I asked, and Yaser shook his head.

"She's feeling a little sick, so I brought her soup to her room earlier." I nodded and looked down at my plate of food.

"Then, are you expecting somebody else?" I gestured to the plate set at the empty seat. As if right on cue, there was a knock on the door.

"I'll get it," Zayn said standing up.

"Who is it?" I whispered to Doni and she shrugged. My question was answered when he walked back in.

With Perrie.

This is going to be a fun dinner.

><

><

><

hey guys. there's another chapter. hope you enjoyed, and it wasn't too confusing. the next one is going to be the dinner scene, so get ready for that. thank you all so much for 1.92k reads and 170+ votes! comment? comment goal: 5 comments. vote goal: 175+ votes.

p.s. DID ANYONE ELSE CRY WHILE WATCHING THE NIGHT CHANGES VIDEO CAUSE SAME OMG ZAYN AT THE END I SOBBED INTO MY PILLOW HE LOOKED LIKE A LOST PUPPY DEAR LORD HELP ME HE LOOKS SOOOO GOOD WITH LONG HAIR OMG OMG . (: x.