thirteen

"Really? All of that happened while..."

"While you were a jerk and ignored her for four years? Yup. That's what happened," Louis rudely interrupted Zayn, and I discretely shoved him on the arm. Zayn sheepishly gazed down at his lap, looking beyond remorseful. Then he looked me in the eye,

"I'm really sorry about your mum, Ali. Also for everything I did to you, and didn't do. I'm just sorry for everything." He sounded sincere but I just shrugged,

"I had my four best friends to help me cope at the time," he frowned at this and looked away, picking at the chicken I gave him. "I was okay; am okay. Made it through." I nodded to myself and picked at a loose thread on the pillow I was hugging.

"How's Cher?" he asked, changing the subject again.

"She's fine. Comes by quite a bit nowadays; she's totally different from when you guys left." None of the boys have actually hung out with Cher since they all became famous because of conflicting schedules.

"How different?" Niall asked, putting an arm over my shoulder.

"Way different. She's got tattoos, wears so much make-up now, and have you even heard her songs?"

"Some of them," Liam admitted.

"So not the Cher I remember from high school," I shook my head. We went on talking about things here in Bradford, how things were for them on tour, and what life for them has been like lately.

Every time Zayn said something, I would do this weird thing where I'd smile really wide then scowl a split second later. I'd find myself staring at him, then glare when he caught my glance. Finally we got to the topic I've been dreading most.

"Oh yeah, I'm glad we're off tour, though I'll miss it. But now I have time to plan the wedding with Perrie." I stared at him, completely forgetting he was even engaged.

"Can I, see the ring?" I asked. He nodded awkwardly and held out his hand, displaying the silver band representing the forthcoming marriage of Perrie and him.

"Everyone was wary when I asked her, but we've been together forever. And we're both adults, and I love her. She's amazing and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with her," he retracted his hand and lovingly gazed at the ring, smiling.

"She's um. A lucky girl," I said in a quiet voice.

"I'm a lucky man to have her," he replied. I glanced at the clock, it reading 7:24. I decided I couldn't take this anymore.

"Alright boys," I stood up abruptly. "I think it's time for you to go."

"Why?" Harry asked pouting.

"Well I haven't seen you boys in forever and do miss you, but I actually have to work in order to keep this house. I'm uh, kind of behind on bills and." I shook my head. "That's none of your business. I have work in the morning; I need to sleep. Maybe we could hang out another time?" They all stared at me in shock.

"Alissa, whatever it is, you can tell-" Zayn started.

"I said it was none of your business Zayn!" I snapped. I was waiting for him to freak out on me like he used to, but I guess he really did change. He just bit his lip and rose from his seat.

"I'm sorry. I'll be going now. Night boys." He waved and made his way to the door. "Goodnight, Ali." My chest felt light at the sound of my old nickname coming from his lips.

The boys stared at me.

"Looks guys. I really do need to sleep-" I stopped, feeling tears come to my eyes. They all shared a look and left except for Niall.

"Look, love. It's okay. We're here for you, alright? Never forget that. If you want to talk, I'm here. So is Harry, Louis, and Liam. Hell, even Zayn would be here for you!" he exclaimed and threw up his hands for emphasis.

"He hasn't for the past four years Ni. Why start now?" He smiled, kissing my forehead and standing up.

"I told you he's changed, love. Give him a chance. Please. One chance." I stared after him as he walked to the door, waiting for an answer.

"Fine. One chance. But that's it; he screws up I don't care. I'll be done." I was surprised at the words coming from my mouth, but held my ground. Niall just chuckled,

"Alright. Thanks Ali, it means a lot." Suddenly there was a horn honking rapidly outside, then a yell,

"C'mon Ni! You're our ride!" I laughed.

"Go on, Horan. See you later." He waved and shut the door, leaving me to my tears and heartache.

><

><

><

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 1.1k READS!! I'm so happy I made it this far, just thank you so much. and 120+ votes!! thank you, gracias, de nada, bonjour and all that jazz. anyway, hope you enjoyed this chapter. comment? vote goal: 130+ votes. I think you guys can do it. (: x.