twenty-four

It's been so long. And I've tried, so hard. So hard to just forget the kiss, forget everything between us. Not necassarily mending our broken friendship, but to at right the wrongs.

But I can't escape it.

Especially when he's over at Trisha's house all the time, or he comes over when the boys want to hang out. Well, Niall went back to Ireland for a while. And to be honest, he was the second closest to me of all the boys, Harry being the first (not even counting Zayn), and I missed him dearly. But at the moment, Harry was talking to me over Skype and I was kind of zoning out.

"Ali?" I looked up.

"Yeah Haz?"

"Have you been doing alright? I mean, ever since the dinner you had at Zayn's you've been... distant. Really distant." I listened to his sweet voice laced with concern. "You know you can tell me anything, right Als?"

"Of course Harry. It's just, I've been so stressed lately. I'm scared im going to screw up in front of Perrie and Zayn, and it's been so awkward between us since the kiss, and then he just keeps showing up and I feel overwhelmed and-"

"Wait, what? What kiss?" My eyes widened and I slapped a hand over my mouth.

"I wasn't supposed to say that," I squeaked. He raised an eyebrow at me and I rushed on. "It wasn't supposed to happen, I-I guess it was just the heat of the moment? Please don't say anything to Zayn or Perrie, he'd be so mad and she'd be so upset. I don't want to ruin their engagement. So please, just don't say anything?"

He blinked.

Brief pause of silence.

"Well. That's... disappointing." Was all he said. I silently scoffed.

" 'Thats disappointing?' That's all you have to say?"

"Are you upset by that?" I was taken aback. He was right, I shouldn't be upset over this. I sighed.

"No. I don't know why I would be. I guess that was just instinct when talking about Zayn," I replied, and he laughed.

"Could I come over Ali?" I chuckled at the randomness and checked the time, three thirty, shrugging a yes. "Good, because I've been in your driveway this whole time." My jaw dropped.

"We've been on Skyping for over an hour Harold!"

"Ooh, busting out the full names huh? You really wanna go that route?" I blushed and quickly shook my head no. "That's what I thought. Give me a minute." With that he ended the call. Not even a minute later, the door opened, him not even bothering to knock.

"Why didn't you just come in?" I asked. He shrugged.

"I had something in mind, and um. I thought I'd do it next time I saw you. But like, I had to do something first but, I wanted to do it today so, I sat in your driveway. And, Skyped you. Yeah." I giggled at his awkwardness and he forced a smile, walking into my living room and sitting on the couch.

"What exactly did you want to talk to me about?" I asked. He fiddled with his fingers in his lap and avoided eye contact. "Haz?" He looked up.

"I don't want to say, because I know where you stand on the subject and I don't want to put my self through anything. I also don't want to put you through anything, god. I just- damn, this is hard." He looked out my window to the backyard. "You still have your swings?" I blinked.

"I do?" I peeked outside. "Hm. I do. Yeah, I do believe the twins go play on then sometimes," I commented. He nodded. Suddenly he stood up and walked down the hallway to my back door, heading outside. I quickly followed him.

"Harry? What is up with you?" I laughed. He sat on the swing and turned to me, shrugging. I sat on the swing next to him, cringing as the set creaked under our combined weight.

"I'm just scared," he finally mumbled, not quite looking at me.

"Of what?" I suddenly felt like I was in some cliche romance film and I- oh. Wait. Oh.

"That you'll hate me."

"I could never hate you," I said slowly, putting the pieces together.

"And I you," he replied simply. I observed his flustered features, anxious for his small announcement.

"Just say it Haz," I breathed out. He fidgeted in his spot but blurted,

"I really like you. Like, maybe even love you Ali. Okay? I do. And, I always have. It's true, I had a crush on you those years ago, and still fancy you now. But I knew you were still hung up on Zayn and-"

"I'm not 'still hung up on Zayn,'" I defended myself.

"Oh really? Then what did that kiss mean to you?" He looked me straight in the eye, knowing he had me cornered.

Shit.

"It meant n-nothing," I lied not so smoothly. "It meant nothing to him, so it meant nothing to me. Why should I let him play with my emotions? It's childish, really. So. It meant nothing." He raised an eyebrow.

"I'm surprised Ali. Really, I am. But don't worry, it's a good thing. You're taking control. I like that," he smiled. I smiled back.

"I have a question for you though," he nodded. "What happened between you and Louis?" He huffed and ran a hand through his hair.

"Rather not talk about it." I gave him a pointed look. "Alright, alright. But that's another story for a different time," he winked and I rolled my eyes.

"You drive me crazy." He started singing his part from Night Changes and I rolled my eyes again, laughing but enjoying his voice.

"You're such a loser."

><

><

><

sorry for any typos, I'll fix later. here's your update :D back on track with this book haha. please gimme feedback on this chapter bc this is where stuff starts goin' down hehe.

guys omg I started school again and i hate it. ive got this audition for high school coming up where i have to sing and im freaking out, i haven't done ANY homework so ugh, and just, ugh. comment goal: 5+ vote goal: 460+ votes.

qotc: did you guys start school again yet? what grade are you in? omg how old are you guys?? (sorry for the multiple questions lol)

aotc: im in 8th grade and im 13 c:

love you guys. thank you so much for 6k reads and 450+ votes! (: x.