Chapter 23: Good Bye

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Is it alright if I eat them?"

-Bolt Ryozaki

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     All Makoto could think as she held Wendy in her arms was that none of this should have happened. The fire should have never happened. She could hear Kitty scream for them in the distance but didn't have the strength to reply, let alone go to her. She couldn't leave Wendy to fend for herself in this raging inferno. Walls crumbled and the support beams started to creak as they became unstable. "Wendy. Get up we have to get out of here." She croaked, the smoke becoming to much for her lungs to handle. She waited but no response came. "Wendy?" She shook her, but she still said nothing. "Wendy?!" She cried as Wendy's head lolled back, still not replying to her pleads. 

     She looked for a heart beat and found none. Her world crashed down. She was dead. Wendy was dead. Her mind couldn't seem to process it. And as Wendy's body began to incinerate and turn into golden ruhk that took flight, she snapped. Her closest friend was died and Kitty's cries had stopped, only to be replaced by screams of agony. Makoto got up and wandered aimlessly around the burning building. Past the dead bodies that were turning into ruhk and others that lingered on the floor before turning into ash. She heard the sound of footsteps but collapsed before the person got near her. When she lifted her head she was Jasmine and Nagisa run past her through the blaze. 

     'They were crying,' she thought, ' And they didn't have the others with them...' Something cool slid down her face and Makoto realized she was crying. Everyone she loved was gone, she would never see them again. As everything began to go dark, flashes of her life started popping up in her head. How she had met the destructive twins.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Flashback~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     She had been passing by the auction house when it had quite literary exploded. Two girls burst out of the explosion and ran into her. Their red hair was matted and they chains on their wrists and ankles. They got up to run again but Makoto grabbed their hand and dragged them to the palace before they knew what was happening. When she let go she bowed and introduced herself, "Sorry about that, my name's Makoto. Whatare your names?" The two redheads bowed in turn and replied. "Our names are Bolt and Kitty," their red eyes held distrust, but even so they held out their hands for Makoto to shake, "It's nice to meet you Miss Makoto."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~End Flashback~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     How she had bumped into Wendy in the halls of the Nazarik Palace and spilled wine down her uniform. How they had played ridiculous games of true or dare and them regretting it the next morning. All the good and bad times at Nazarik where she felt like she had a family of battle maids. The fact that she knew she was about to lose all that, quite frankly terrified her. Her adopted family was gone, but at least they had kept her safe. Her memories sped through at lightning speed and so she gave up trying to watch them all. 'At least princess Jasmine is safe. It was an honor serving you.' Thought Makoto as the flames consumed her. 

     It burned for a few seconds until everything turned dark. The feeling of floating soon replaced the feeling of being burned alive. Days seemed to pass in the darkness and boredom was all that Makoto experienced until a light sparked in the distance. The light got brighter and brighter the closer she got to it. The sound of crying was the first thing she heard as the light engulfed her and the face a woman stared down at her. "Sh. It's okay Kota. Momma's got you." 

The End

     It's been over a year since I first started writing this story. The idea had kept changing as it progressed and even so, in the end, it ended up just fine. Thank you for all the support you guys have given me, I really appreciate it. Thank you, my dear kittens... There will be a sequel coming out at some point called, "A Second Chance", so keep a look out! Bye my dears, Neko-chan out!