Chapter 21 - Party Guessed

I'm in the kitchen dancing about as I clean up from the lunch I just ate yay spring break and the living's easy

I hear a few quick knocks on the front door and set the clean skillet on the back burner of the stove to head to the door.

I smile when I see the birthday girl through the side widow and I reach for the handle, immediately shouting "Happy cake day!" when I open the door.

Her face breaks out in a genuine smile and she leans forward to hug me "Thank you sweetie– clear anything you might be doing because I need my two best friends advice on all the items in the shopping bags in my car."

Stepping back from her I frown slightly "Why didn't you have Ally and I go shopping with you?"

She just lifts a shoulder "Mom wanted to spend some time with me this morning."

I nod and point over my shoulder "I was just finishing cleaning up so I'm totally free, let me grab my bag."

She sets her hands on her hips and steps out onto the front porch so I can lock the door "I got you and Allison something to wear also"

I throw my keys in my bag and turn around to her, a grateful smile lifting the corners of my mouth "Seriously, you spoil me way too much, Lyds."

"Nonsense, lets go" She states, looping her arm in mine as we make our way down the steps and to her car.

⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋆⋇⋆⋇

Luckily Allison's dad opened the door to let us in and we head up the stairs to her room to find her sitting at her desk when we walk in.

Lydia lifts the bags in her hands and shimmies them softly "Clear your schedule. This could take a while."

Allison stands up and walks over to her bed where Lydia is already digging through one of the bags.

Ally shares a look with me before she chuckles "How many outfits do you plan on wearing tonight?"

I return her chuckle as Lydia scoffs "It's my birthday party. I'm thinking host dress, evening dress, then– after hours casual," Lydia hmms like it's the perfect plan and not at all weird for a party that's not a Gala

Ally absentmindedly brings up "I noticed that you didn't send out any invites." she never does

"It's the biggest party of the year, Allison. Everyone knows," Lydia jabs and holds up one of the dresses.

I slowly swing my head to Ally and lift my brows once causing her to smile and shake her head before she continues "I was wondering if maybe this year things, you know, might be different."

"Why would anything be different?" Lydia absentmindedly states as she lifts another dress up and I lift a shoulder gaining her attention "Just 'cause things have been off lately."

Ally nods and adds "Things and people– like Jackson."

Lydia looks over to her and narrows her eyes slightly "What do you care about Jackson?" careful

Allison flicks her gaze to me before tilting her head to the side towards Lydia "Do you know if he's coming tonight?"

"Everyone's coming," she states like it's the most obvious thing in the world before grabbing a light rust red dress "This one's American rag. Mm, I love it. For me, not either of you"