Chapter 57 - Perishable

Stiles and I head back into the hospital to talk to mom after Lydia just threw the biggest curve ball of my seventeen and a half years of existence this tops being a banshee which I thought was going to be number one forever

Lyds was going to ask her mom if she knew anything about this new development and then head home from the lake house to meet us at the station to talk to Noah.

Spotting mom at the nurse's station filling out paperwork, I set my hand on her arm softly "Mom... are– are you busy?"

Moving her eyes between Stiles and I, mom smiles and shakes her head with her answer "No– no not really, honey what is it?"

I scrunch my mouth to the side before I take a deep breath and rip off the bandaid "I know you and grandma didn't have the greatest relationship, but did you know about any siblings she may have had– specifically a sister?"

A look crosses over her face, before she nods her head to the side of the hallway and has us follow her into an unoccupied room.

Stiles closes the door and it's silent for a moment before mom sets her hands on her waist and turns around to face us.

She smiles softly when her eyes land on me "Sweetheart, I will tell you anything you want to know– most is still a mystery, why your grandmother checked herself into Eichen and more importantly why she died a year later. Eichen took care of everything after she died, but I received a call a few months after she passed that some of her belongings were found with her sister after she too had passed."

Mom licks her lips quickly and looks down to the ground quickly to take a moment.

She lifts her head and I feel Stiles step closer to wrap his arm around my back, resting his hand on my waist as she continues softly "I didn't– I never knew she had a sister, let alone a twin. The only thing I was able to find was her name, Lorraine, on some pictures with Elenor's things. I was told Elenor checked herself into Eichen because the voices told her she'd be safe." voices– grandma was a banshee too

Mom shrugs and continues, "After I had you and your brother, your grandmother was around for a little while, she stayed with us one summer when you were little. You were her own Rapunzel as she called you because of your long blonde hair she gifted you with."

She adds with a soft chuckle that I return as I smile sadly with tears slowly gathering in my eyes at the vague memory of that nickname, and my time with grandma Elenor while mom was finishing up school.

Mom shakes her head and continues "After I got hired at the hospital here, I didn't really continue to have contact with your grandmother. She had started to become distant from all of us and had left to San Francisco to help a friend with a case study as she called it. When I finally figured out she wasn't in San Francisco anymore and was actually in Eichen– she didn't want to see me. She didn't want me to see her there, she didn't want you or your brother to see her there. She refused any visits or questions as to why she was there."

Tears gather in moms eyes before her voice cracks "I pushed down the guilt from trying to get through to her so I could focus on you kids, work, and of course the state your father was in– but I should of tried harder, she died feeling so alone."

I sniffle quickly and step closer to mom, setting my hands on her upper arms "Mom, grandma made her own choices. She at least had her sister in that place for some of the time, she may not have been as alone as you think. You don't have anything to feel guilty about, grandma didn't want visitors or you seeing her– there wasn't anything you could have done different. I remember we still wrote to her and drove to visit her when we could."