Chapter 84 - Our Traditions

I set my suitcase by the front door before turning and heading for the kitchen. My steps are stopped immediately as Stiles turns around the corner, blocking my path as he offers a small grimace and clears his throat "So– uh you remember how we were meeting everyone for Christmas weekend since we couldn't all get flights together?"

Walking past him and into the kitchen I chuckle and nod as I pour some coffee into a mug.

I place my hand around the side of the mug and I bring it up towards my lips, answering his question over the rim "Yes, everyone has been leaving the last few days in groups and our flight is leaving this afternoo– oh sweet mother of Christmas don't tell me you aren't packed yet, we have to leave for the airport in an hour– it's Christmas Eve Eve and it's going to be crazy busy."

Stiles levels me with a look, feigning in mock hurt, as he touches his fingers to his chest "Wow, I can't believe you think I'm that irresponsible as to wait until the last minute to pack for–"

"Are you packed?" I interrupt without missing a beat, raising a brow while Stiles scrunches his mouth to the side, eyes narrowing at me before he flails his hand up off his chest and towards me "That's besides the point, 4 flannels, 2 jeans and a few other things and I'd be golden"

I playfully roll my eyes, letting out a huff after taking a sip of my coffee. I set the mug on the counter and fully turn towards him as I cross my arms over my chest "Don't be silly you'd at least need your black henley too– all right so why are you bringing up our Christmas plans that you still need to pack for?"

Stiles reaches onto the counter to grab something, lifting it above our heads when he turns around. I smirk as I look up towards the ribboned bundle in his hands "What are you doing with that mistletoe–"

My words are stopped as he bends forwards to quickly place his lips against mine.

Stiles sets his hand on my waist as he kisses me silly for a few more seconds before he pulls away and my eyes slowly open "–Oh."

"Our flights been cancelled" Stiles rushes out through a grimace, his grimace deepening when his words finally register in my brain and my eyes widen "What? It's just cancelled? We can't get another flight?"

A humorless chuckle laces his next words "Oh, yeah– we can get another flight–"

I breathe a sigh of relief, not really knowing how I'd handle not seeing our parents or Scotty on Christmas this year–

"The snow has made the airport have to postpone all the flights until at least the 26th though..." Stiles interrupts my inner thoughts, earning my mouth to fall open as I gape at him and the realization of the earliest day to fly out is now three days away.

I make a noise, jerking my head back slightly as I uncross my arms and digest his words "Stiles, are you telling me we don't get to be with our families for Christmas?"

"I mean, sort of– but it won't be so bad" he quickly rushes out, hands raised as he steps towards me and closes the gap between us, setting his hands on my waist as he reassures "We'll still have Christmas– we'll just be here, you and me."

I feel Stiles lift the bottom of my shirt slightly, rubbing his thumbs against the skin on my sides just above my leggings.

I take a deep calming breath in through my nose, shrugging my shoulders as I mutter "It's not that that doesn't sound like a dream come true and I know it's silly– I just... not seeing them on our last Christmas living at home just seems so, I don't know– wrong in a sense?"

"Hey–" Stiles increases his hold on me, waiting until I connect my eyes with his before he smiles his lopsided smile and eases the somber mood "I already talked to my dad and your mom and we're going to celebrate a belated Christmas with everyone when they come back– plus in the meantime we're going to have a nice cozy holiday here and I mean come on we have snow" he singsongs his last few words, instantly bringing a smile to my face.