Chapter 34 - The Overlooked

"Derek? Derek, where are you?"

I knew she parked her car, knew she was heading up the stairs, and yet I still flinch from her voice as soon as she runs into the loft memories of an hour ago still going strong

Stiles, who had his hands on my shoulders as I stand in front of him next to Scott, pulls me closer against his chest once he feels the flinch.

Derek looks over to our hiding spot just out of sight from the living area before he turns and answers her "Right here."

"Thank God. Something happened at the recital– at the school. Okay, I need to tell you before you hear it, before you hear any of it from them."

"From who?" he sounds convincing at least

"Scott, Stiles, maybe Addy– if she's with them. They're gonna tell you things– things you can't believe. You have to trust me, okay? You trust me?"

"What is it?" Derek asks, even though he already knows.

He looked upset when we told him what had happened earlier, though one look at my face and my neck as I rehashed the horrors of almost dying at her hands and he looked angrier than I've ever seen him before.

Derek believes us, he however wanted to see what she had to say for herself, so we hid as soon as he heard her car pull up outside.

"Promise you'll listen to me" she stresses before we hear his confirmation "I promise."

It's silent for a few moments before Jennifer's voice reaches our ears again, a darker and deeper tone than her usual voice "They're already here, aren't they?"

We walk around the corner of the doorway and Derek flicks his eyes over to us as we clear the doorway.

When she turns towards us, Scott and Stiles waste no time moving slightly closer together to block me from her view as she continues "So– they told you it was me? That I'm the one taking people?" murdering, but yes

"We told him you're the one killing people" Scott clarifies and I can feel the anger rolling off of him.

Jennifer scoffs, looking between us and Derek as she defends herself "Oh, that's right. Committing human sacrifices? What, cutting their throats? Yeah, I probably do it on my lunch hour. That way, I can get back to teaching high school English the rest of the day. That makes perfect sense."

The room is lit up from the lightning striking dancing across the sky and Stiles shifts on his feet "Where's my dad?" his voice cracks and I reach out to set my hand on his arm fuck her for making this THIS personal 

"How should I know? Derek, tell me you don't believe this." She turns back to Derek who moves his eyes over to us.

A broken look flashes across his face as he looks from Stiles to me before he flicks his eyes back to her "Do you know what happened to Stiles' father?"

"No" she shakes her head and glares over to us, earning Scott to immediately growl in his chest before he clips out "Ask her why she almost killed my sister."

Jennifer scoffs and flicks her eyes to me in between their shoulders, lifting a brow as she points forward "Addeline– I didn't–"

I take a deep breath and step in between them, though they don't move easily, as I level her with a glare and state "And Lydia."