Chapter 66 - Required Reading

"Chimeras..." Noah sighs out while drawing a red X through Lucas' and Tracy's pictures he has tacked onto his crime board in his office at the station.

"Two dead Chimeras" Stiles offers before I elaborate further "And eight new ones" more specifically eight new burial sites on the lacrosse field they found last night

"So, that's ten in all." Stiles continues before Noah informs without missing a beat and moves forward as he tacks up a picture of Donovan and states "I'm thinking maybe eleven" of course we couldn't luck out with no one looking for him

I step closer to Stiles and he wraps his arm behind me, gripping my side softly to avoid the stitches.

Noah turns around facing us and crosses his arms over his front as he continues "Our station tech guys confirmed something for me– they said, both the holding cell lock and cameras could have malfunctioned because of something electromagnetic. You said that, uh, these guys..." he trails off after picking up the book we brought to him and I fill in after clearing my throat "Dread Doctors."

Noah scrunches his brows up, looking over towards me and shaking the book slightly "Are we really calling them that?" like father, like son

I smile with a shrug and continue to stay on his train of thought "So they broke Donovan out?"

Noah nods "It's how they got into Eichen, isn't it?" they needed Kira to weaken the defenses but yea it's similar

Stiles is staying silent, so I take the bait for Noah's questions "Well if they broke him out it would make sense that he was a chimera."

"Yeah. But... is he a failure like Lucas and Tracy?" Noah implores thoughtfully, nodding back towards his board before I offer "If he is, he's probably dead."

Noah shakes his head and looks back towards the board "Not until I've seen a body."

Hoping this will be enough to stop his search for a body I fill in for him "If he is a chimera and dead– then you're not going to see one Mr. S. Both Lucas' and Tracy's bodies are missing."

Noah's shoulders drop with his obvious sigh of frustration before he looks back towards us more specifically Stiles "You're uncharacteristically quiet."

I chew on the side of my lip as Stiles clears his throat, looking down to me quickly before looking back towards his dad "Yeah– sorry, I'm, uh... I'm just trying to think about it. Uh... These are all teenagers, right? So, now shouldn't we be trying to figure out why these teenagers? If the Dread Doctors, if they went through all that– burying them, killing them, breaking one of them out of jail..."

"They couldn't have been chosen at random." Noah continues Stiles' train of thought and I nod my head to the side with my additional thought "They had to have something in common."

Noah uncrosses his arms to point into the air with his words "Something that made them right for this experiment."

Stiles licks his lips quickly and elaborates "Something that made them special."

⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋆⋇⋆⋇

After school we make a plan to get our read on so Lydia, Malia, Kira, and Theo meet Stiles, Scott and I at our house.