Chapter 101 - Triggers

Mason made a show of putting blankets and other supplies in the trunk of Lydia's car at the school, hoping to attract the attention of Nolan who needs to prove himself since he failed at killing Jiang and Tierney at the station.

Which he did– Mason is currently leading Nolan to the abandoned zoo where Liam and Theo are waiting for Nolan to hopefully call in the massive find of figuring out where 'we are hiding out'.

Plan is that with our location revealed to Monroe, they will send the backup of hunters to the zoo to help Nolan– which will lead them away from where we're currently waiting with Chris outside of Gerard's building of operations at Argent Arms International which we're wanting to break into since everything thinks we're gone

I get a text from Liam that Mason just got to the zoo and unloaded the car with Nolan 'inconspicuously' waiting just down the road. I smile to my screen and turn in the passenger seat of Chris' SUV to face everyone "It worked."

"It's about damn time" Malia smiles and moves to unbuckle her seat belt in the back, though Scott stops her from getting out of the car "...Wait"

She freezes, notices his attention is out of the car and focuses her hearing as well, nodding a few seconds later "I hear them, too."

I share a look with Chris who is sitting in the driver's seat and clarify to the enhanced hearing duo "Hear what?"

"Heartbeats," Scott answers with Chris questioning "How many?"

"Ten?" Scott gives us a number and Malia shakes her head "More."

"Are we breaking in or not?" Lydia chimes in on the other side of Scott and Chris answers without missing a beat "Not. The armory should be empty by now."

Malia scoffs and offers like it's no big deal "We can take down a few hunters if we have to."

Chris turns more in his seat and fills us in "We're dealing with a dozen well armed hunters who have orders to kill you on sight."

We all share a look with that bit of information we weren't fully aware of before and Malia leans closer "Then how are we supposed to get inside?"

The black SUV's outside of the building we're attempting to break into are still there, so the second part of the plan has still not happened why the hell haven't they left to go and kill us all at the zoo?

After waiting a couple more minutes, Chris has obviously had enough of us imitating sitting ducks and reaches forward with a turn of his keys to start the car.

Malia grabs onto his seat and reaches in between us, turning his keys back to shut the car off.

Chris immediately turns around to face her as she sits back in her seat, raising her hands "Gerard thinks we're gone. It's a good plan."

"It's our only plan," I correct her and Chris snaps his head in my direction, setting his elbow on the window frame as he grumbles "And it's not working."

"We can still do this," Malia urges as I sit back in the seat, furrowing my brows at the windshield when I see a tiny crack start to form.

I barely hear Malia call for us to vote while Scott mutters about us needing to give Liam and Theo a little more time as I lean forward, running the pad of my finger against the cracking glass.

The glass starts to splinter off more and more making a spiderweb design almost as Chris' aggravation grows "We have ten minutes. Ten minutes before Gerard's people flag this vehicle. Once that happens, we'll be seen as a potential threat."