One More Chance

PLEASE READ!

I apologize in advance. This is completely different from anything I've written on here so far. However, this was in my head and I couldn't help but write it.

Warning:
Please don't read if this will be too difficult for you. I made myself cry numerous times while writing it.

~~~~~

You opened your eyes, immediately focusing in on a complexly designed ceiling. Your eyebrows furrowed as you positioned your hands on both sides of you and sat up. Once doing so, you immediately knew that this was not your house.

"Where . . . am I?" You asked yourself quietly.

You'd woken up on a couch in the middle of a room. The room was extremely large, making you infer that the house must have been relatively large as well. Looking around, you could see that it was daytime. It looked to be about noon. To double check, you reached in your pocket for your phone. However, your eyes widened at the device you pulled out. It was a flip phone.

"What in the world?" You whispered.

That was not your phone. Flipping it open, you saw the old pixelated screen turn on. You glanced at the time and your thoughts were confirmed. It was almost noon.

Suddenly, your eyes fell on something that nearly made you drop the entire phone. The date read 'June 24, 2009.' Instantly, your eyes became glossy.

"No, no. This can't be right. It's an old phone," you dismissed it.

However, your eyes remained glued to the screen. The date remained on the screen, almost taunting you.

"It can't be . . ."

You looked at your surroundings. This wasn't your house, but whoever owned it was living an extremely comfortable lifestyle. Your hand began to quiver, so you closed the phone and put it back in your pocket. Standing up, you looked over your shoulder at the window. You walked over to the glass and looked out. A beautiful view gleamed from the other side. There was a gate, a handful of trees, and the greenest grass you'd ever seen.

"Whose home is this?" You asked yourself.

Squinting your eyes, you tried to see if you could recognize anything. The gate looked vaguely familiar, but you couldn't place where you'd seen it. Numerous questions began popping into your mind.

Am I here alone? Why is the date wrong on the phone? Why did I wake up here? How did I get here?

All these questions lingered in your head. No one was there to answer them.

A sudden jolt from above made you jump and look up. Your eyes stared intently at the ceiling. You quickly realized the noise came from a room above you. Someone was home.

You looked around before looking back at the ceiling. As much as you wanted to, you didn't think it was safe to simply march upstairs and bombard the person with questions. For all you knew, someone could have kidnapped you and brought you here.

When nothing better appeared in sight, you decided to go with a lamp. Reaching towards the socket, you quickly unplugged it and wrapped the cord around your hand. Then, grasping it with both hands, you held the lamp to your chest and walked out of the room.