The Midnight Call

Warning: Mentions of family death.

And I will keep you warm
Through the shadows of the night
Let me touch you with my love
I can make you feel so right
- "The Lady In My Life" by Michael Jackson

~~~~

Michael

Michael

I awoke to the irritating sound of our ringing telephone. Since the disruptive sound was coming from Y/N's side of the bed, she was the first one to sleepily sit up and reach out to answer it. As I adjusted my position on my pillow, I rubbed my eyes in an attempt to help them adjust to the darkness of the bedroom. Due to our choice to close the curtains earlier that night, minimal light was entering the bedroom. Our plaid, black-out curtains, which were behind our heads, were restricting any possible moonlight from shining through. However, our lace curtains, which were on the walls to the right of us, allowed for some moonlight to penetrate through and give the room a dim, silvery glow.

"Hello?" Y/N's soft, tired voice spoke, making me turn my head to look at her. She was holding the phone up to her left ear while she massaged the bridge of her nose with her right hand. Judging by the irritated look on her face, I could tell that she was just as tired as I was.

"Hm?" She hummed, signaling for whoever was on the other line to repeat their words, "Yes, this is she."

She was quiet for a moment as she listened to the person speak. I could hear the small voice on the other line speaking frantically to her. However, I couldn't make out the words he or she was saying. Y/N combed her fingers through her hair, something she always did when she grew nervous or anxious.

"Hang on, hang on. Slow down, please," she said, her voice beginning to adjust to its normal tone as her tiredness wore off, "What did you say?"

Furrowing my eyebrows in concern, I began to adjust myself to a sitting position. I grabbed the pillow that I was lying on and pressed it against the headboard. Scooting up, I leaned my weight against the supportive structure. Y/N continued to listen to the voice on the telephone, continuing to run her fingers through her hair. I watched her from my spot next to her, observing her body language. If something was wrong, it wouldn't take me long to figure it out. After knowing her for so long, I found myself to be the best person to read her emotions, even when she tried to hide them.

"Wha—" she spoke, cutting herself off by placing her hand over her mouth.

This caused the concern to spike within me. Now, I knew something was either very wrong or very right. It was clear that something had shocked her immensely. I placed my hands on the mattress before scooting myself closer. As I did so, she began shaking her head, keeping her hand placed over her mouth. As I closed the distance between us, the concern within me grew. I placed my hand on her lower back, beginning to rub her skin in an attempt to soothe her.