Coaxing The Tears

"Is something bothering you?" Michael asked softly.

As you looked out at the city lights, you could hear his footsteps approaching you from behind. You were sitting with your knees pulled to your chest. For all the hours that he'd been gone at rehearsal, you hadn't said much. That morning, of course, you said your usual goodbyes and exchanged displays of affection. However, Michael knew you well. It didn't take him long to notice that something was off about you. He'd asked the same question that he was asking you now. And just like now, you would give him the same answer.

"No, love. I'm fine."

You heard him sigh. The sound of his footsteps grew closer as he walked right behind you before sitting down. You didn't move as he took a seat. Like always, he placed his legs on either side of you before pulling you to him. His hands found your shoulders and squeezed them gently.

"You know I can see through that, don't yah?" He asked, placing his head on your shoulder.

You let out a sigh. "Just a little solemn. I'll admit that. But I'm alright, I promise."

"What has you feeling that way?" He asked curiously.

When Michael was feeling down, you'd always pushed him to open up to you. It was only natural that he would do the same. You kept your eyes on the beautiful hotel window view. While looking out at a busy city during the night hours usually made you happy, today it allowed you to go deep within yourself. Suddenly, certain things—things you hadn't thought about in years—came to mind. Things that you'd pushed down and away from the light.

"I've just been thinking about things. It started last night, when I dreamt about them," you replied.

His hands began rubbing up and down your arms. He did it gently, at a slow and constant pace, knowing that you needed a little T. L. C.

"Do I know about these things?" He asked.

You shook your head. "No, they aren't recent. They are . . . very old memories, but sometimes, I feel like they're going to haunt me for the rest of my . . ."

You trailed off, feeling yourself growing emotional. You were never one to cry in front of people, not even Michael. For all the years that you two had been dating, you'd managed to keep your emotional moments private. He even felt comfortable enough with you to let you see him cry, but you just hadn't reached that level yet. Michael knew, of course, and he wished you could get past it. He hoped that one day you would realize that he would always be there for you. After all the times that he'd promised that he would hold you, care for you, comfort you, and wipe your tears, you still refused to let him see you cry.

He lowered his lips to your bare shoulder before placing a gentle kiss on your skin. "Can you tell me?" He asked.

You nodded. "They're early memories from school. I'm sure some kids—most kids actually—loved their early school years. Those were the years when life was simple. However, those were sad years for me. It's so silly to think about it now, actually."

"If you're still thinking about it today, then it isn't silly," Michael whispered, never ceasing his gentle touch.

You let out a breath. "I mean . . . to sum it up, I'll just say that kids can be mean. Of course, there are wonderful children out there, as well. But when you're a kid too, certain things that they say and certain things that happen . . . they never leave you."

Michael nodded, completely understanding what being teased felt like. He'd experienced the same thing as a child, but the teasing came from his father.