Nocturnal Gremlins

"Did you hear that?" You whispered, sitting up on the mattress.

"What?" Michael mumbled.

"Shh," You hushed him, leaning forward to see if you could hear another sound.

For a long moment, it was quiet. However, that was quickly interrupted by the sound of footsteps running down the hall, followed by a light, childish giggle.

Michael sat up. "I heard that."

You smiled and turned to face him. "I think a few of our appleheads had too much sugar today."

More footsteps echoed down the hall. You held back a laugh.

Michael giggled softly. "You've got that right."

He yanked the covers from his legs and swung his legs over the edge of the bed. You raised your brows at him.

"You comin'?" He asked.

"Are we joining them for the night?" You said with a smile.

"You could say that. I just wanna see how many of them are up," he replied, slipping his loafers on, "And . . . maybe give them a little scare."

"Not without me you're not," you giggled softly, jumping out of the bed and slipping on your flats.

With a mischievous glint in his eye, Michael waited for you to get ready before walking to the door.

"Wait," you whispered, grabbing his arm.

He looked at you curiously before watching you turn your head and adjust your ear over the door.

"Oh," he whispered, smiling slightly before mirroring your actions.

Again, there was nothing but silence on the other side of the door. Suddenly, there was a relatively small bump against the door, causing both of you to jump back.

"Oops!" A tiny voice exclaimed, sounding extremely alarmed.

"Brandi!" A hushed voice scolded, "You're gonna wake up Uncle Doo Doo and Auntie Y/N!"

You looked at Michael, a hand over your mouth to muffle your laughs. Michael looked back at you, raising his brows with a mischievous grin.

"A little late for that," Michael whispered, making you laugh harder.

"You think they woke up?" Brandi's young voice spoke.

There was silence. You held your breath, knowing that whoever was with Brandi was listening for movement on your side of the door.

"No, I think we're good," the other voice answered.

You instantly recognized it as Taj's voice.

"Let's go," Taj whispered and their footsteps receded.

Your gaze fell back on Michael. "I thought you supposedly taught them how to 'sneak around like spies,'" you whispered.

"Aw, you can't expect much from little Brandi. Taj, however, knows better than to whisper that loudly," Michael responded lowly, making you laugh lightly, "Come on, it's time for us to go teach them a little lesson about staying up past their bedtime."

"Alright, but we can't do anything too crazy. The last thing we want to do is wake up the whole house. I'm not trying to hear flack from the rest of the family about us acting 'immaturely,'" you responded.

Michael rolled his eyes and scoffed. "They can suck my socks," he whispered, slowly opening the bedroom door, "Let's go."

~~~~