Chapter 3: Memory Lane

Two days after Willem drove me out here, to our spot, I was still thinking about it. It was good to see the place again.

I'll admit I do miss the times we had, the elementary school crush I had on him, but that ended when he broke my trust and my heart. I frowned at the memory.

I glanced up, and the rusted metal shines back. I stare at the rusting monkey bars, as a memory hits me from when were kids.

Willem was sitting on top of the monkey bars trying to convince me to climb up them.

"Come on" He says gesturing up to the top. I hesitate. "You'll be fine. Come on."

He smiles at, showing me his toothless grin.

"But the bars are rusty, they'll brake." I reason, and he shakes his head.

"They're strong, just like me, now come one."

"No Will." I cross my arms, pouting.

"I'll give you my Sour Patch Kids if you do." He bribes, raising his eyebrow. I weigh my options, but candy won out.

"Fine, scoot over, I'm coming up." He smirks, scooting over.

I reach for the metal ladder that brings me to the top. As I'm climbing, a bar breaks and suddenly I'm weightless, but Willem catches my hand, helping me gain my balance.

I look up, and he's gazing at me with a smile.

I blush. "T-Thanks."

"It was nothing really." He shrugs, pulling me towards the top. "I told you I was strong."

He smirks; I roll my eyes.

"Butthole." I nudge him, laughing.

"Yeah yeah. Sticks and stones Logie." He laughs back.

We sit at the top watching the squirrels run after each other, we talk about the last episode of The Replacements, tell jokes, and enjoy being in each others presence.

"Can I have my candy now, Willie?" I ask.

"Not if you call me Willie again." He glares at me.

I bat my eyelashes, "Pleeeease, Willie."

He rolls his eyes, reach into his pocket for the small bag of sour candy. "Fine. I could never tell you no."

I blush a little. He hands me the bag, and I open it and start eating the candies.

"Can I have one?" He asks, staring at the bag.

"Of course, we're best friends, and best friends share everything." I say, giving him some.

"Thanks Logie." He says with a mouth full. I nod and smile in response.

After about two hours of being there, the sun starts to set and we know our parents would want us home. Willem jumps down from the top, landing perfectly. I look down and get a little scared. The ground looked so far away from my feet. Like I'll never be able to reach it.

"Come on Logie, you'll be fine." He says fixing his jacket his uncle Jackson gave him.

"You said that last time and I almost died." I say dramatically.

He rolls his eyes, "And I caught you. I'll catch you again. Just try to jump into my arms."

He opened his arms. I bit my lip nervously. I take a deep breath and jump.