Chapter 4

The time I got to say goodbye flew by quicker than I wanted.

We were all running in our wolf form with our clothes packed neatly in leather satchels tied to our backs. Surprisingly, Alpha Kaelon did not lead the group but left that honour to a female warrior named Leila. Instead, he ran at the end of the formation, making sure no wolf was left behind.

I stayed with the wolves that I grew up and trained with in Fucus. There were five of us all together- Anneli, Irina, Jase, Levi and me. We brought the total of wolves running together up to twenty, including the Alpha.

By the time the sun started to set, we had stopped and made camp underneath a large rock formation that connected with an underground spring. The forest we had ran in had now turned into a maze of rocks with no end in sight. It will take us another day to reach Orion.

Alpha Kaelon had selected hunting volunteers to search for food for the night. While the rest of us set up camp.

A large fire pit was started by Sabrina, whose personality reminded me of Anneli's.

I unpacked my sleeping mat and placed it near the wall, furthest away from the fire pit. I noticed Alpha Kaelon doing the same, placing his sleeping mat just behind mine. I turned around to study him, watching as he tucked in an extra blanket into his mat.

"Did you bring an extra blanket?" He asked me, his gaze not looking up to meet mine.

I nodded before I realised he couldn't see me. "Yes, Alpha Kaelon, I did pack one," I replied. I sucked in a breath before pushing the next words out of my mouth. "If I may ask, why are you sleeping here? Tonight will be cold and windy."

"It is Orion law that Commanders need to be within arm's length of their Alpha," he replied with a slither of playfulness that was gone before it fully registered in me.

"Then should we move closer to the fire pit Alpha?" I asked, feeling guilty I had chosen this spot.

Alpha Kaelon shook his head. "No. My commanders and I usually take the spots furthest from the fire. I have gotten used to the cold." He turned to face me, his violet eyes reflecting the light of the sunset. By the goddess he was beautiful.

My heart were like drums against my rib cage. I took in a deep breath and closed my eyes to calm my heart. Why are you beating so much? I asked myself before I got up and grabbed my blanket from my leather satchel and continued to set up my sleeping mat.

The wolves who were sent out to hunt had returned before the sun fully set with two large buck carcasses. They were skinned, and the meat was cooked not long after that.

Everyone had demolished the first deer, saving the meat of the second one for tomorrow's journey. 

Those who all had the energy gathered around the fire to share gossip and stories, while those who were tired from the run, retreated in their sleeping mats. 

The ache in my muscles forced me to go to bed.

I woke up when the sun had just broken through the horizon. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and pushed myself out of the warmth of my blankets. I noticed that Alpha Kaelon had already gotten up as I walk inside the rock formation, toward the spring to freshen up.

Once done, I grabbed my daggers from my satchel and walked towards the rocky planes.

I had not gotten far when Alpha Kaelon's figure appeared in front of me. He raised his hand, motioning me to come to him.