Chapter 28

I woke up the next morning feeling Kaelon's absence lingering in the pit of my stomach. He had not come to bed last night, which meant he had spent the whole night working.

Pushing myself out of bed, I got ready for the day before walking in the study. Upon entering, I was surprised to see no one inside.

I went into the common room which was already filled up with people eating breakfast. Walking over to anyone with a familiar face, I asked about the whereabouts of Kaelon, but it seemed like no one knew his exact location.

Huffing back into the study, I decided to wait for him to show up. I had no idea where he would be or if I would see him anytime soon, but I held onto his promise to spend all of today with me.

Grabbing an open book that was leftover from Kaelon's pile yesterday, I decided to start working to get my mind off him and to make the time go faster.

It was early afternoon when I started to become very agitated by Kaelon's, Zoron's and Edrik's disappearances. What are the three of them doing?

My stomach growled, throwing a tantrum at my lack of food intake. I had forgotten I had skipped breakfast, and it was almost the end of lunchtime.

Pushing myself up, I walked out of the study and into the kitchen. I took my time making my food, eating it and washing up. I had hoped that by the time I finished, I would bump into at least one of the men.

My hopes were squashed when I arrived back into the study without seeing anyone of them. Sighing, I sat back down and continued reading where I had left off.

The afternoon was slowly passing by without a single message from Kaelon. The more I thought about him leaving for a whole week, the more the unstable pregnancy emotions rose inside me.

I started to tear up before groaning at how dumb I was for crying.

Having enough of feeling helpless and constantly on edge and waiting for my mate to show up, I decided to put matters in my own hands and go for a walk to Irina's house.

When I arrived, she looked a mess. Her hair was tangled and she was still in her pyjamas. Chocolate was smeared on her lips and shirt while she held a jar of pickled cucumbers.

"Have you tried dipping pickles in melted chocolate yet?" She greeted before pulling me into her house.

"No, but that sounds pretty fun," I replied, thinking about how the combination of flavours would compliment each other.

"You should try it. I would give you some but I have no more chocolate left," she whined. "This is the first time you've ever actively sought me out, so what's wrong?"

I smiled at her, hiding the imminent breaking down from her question. "Nothing. I just wanted to come and see how you were doing. Maybe share some dessert."

"But you know I don't have anything here other than cocoa powder and chocolate. It would make more sense for me to go to you, so why are you really here?" She asked, tone a little nastier than she probably wanted to use.

But it was the thing that broke the dam of emotional pregnancy hormones. I started to cry instantly, unable to stop myself.

"Oh, umm, there, there," Irina said, patting me on the shoulder as she waited for me to stop. "Just let it all out."

"Kaelon is leaving tomorrow and it's almost late afternoon and he's hasn't even come to spend any time with me. I don't know where he is or what he's doing, and to make everything so much worse, he said he would spend the whole day with me which meant he lied!" I cried, unleashing the pent up sadness, agitation and anger inside me.