Chapter 2

The sound of my heart beating rapidly was all I could hear as the Alpha of Orion walked towards me. His scent covered me like a blanket, causing my mind to short circuit and fry inside my head.

Forcing myself to do something, I went back to the basics of my training- I kneeled to show respect and submission to an unfamiliar authority.

I felt his hand on my chin not long after, lifting me from my kneeling position and guiding my eyes onto his.

"Alpha Thomas has told me that your name is Edrei," he stated me as his fingers left my skin. "We have not properly introduced ourselves yet. You may call me Kaelon."

I bowed, recognising his status as Alpha. "It is an honour to be selected into your pack Alpha Kaelon."

His violet eyes pushed its way into my head once more, taunting me to get another glimpse of them. I looked up at Alpha Kaelon's face, taking in his features.

The dark brown strands of his hair glistened against the strips of moonlight that broke past the canopy. His nose, strong and tall was placed perfectly on his powerful face. A short dark stubble graced his prominent jaw, contrasting against his pale complexion and bringing attention to his perfectly formed pink lips.

However, none of his features were as striking as his bright violet eyes.

The icy wind blew against us, causing the hairs on my body to raise. With the chilly gust of air, Reidon's scent filled my nose.

Turning to the direction the wind came, my eyes caught sight of my older brother a few trees away.

Reidon froze when he noticed us, his eyes darting from me to Alpha Kaelon. He quickly kneeled, showing his respect to the foreign Alpha.

"Alpha Orion," Reidon greets, using Alpha Kaelon's formal title. Without direct invitation, a foreign's Alpha's formal title must be used at all times.

I observed Alpha Kaelon's violet eyes as they lingered on between my brother and I. He cleared his throat before finally addressing a kneeling Riedon.

"I look forward to seeing you fight tomorrow," Alpha Kaelon spoke, dissolving the silence that covered the three of us. "You two will need to excuse me," he continued before morphing back into his wolf form.

With the echo of bones cracking and a rumble of a low and carnal growl, he disappeared into the dark forest.

Reidon stood up and rushed towards me. He grabbed my wrist and forcefully tugged me to him. "What were the two of you doing?" he asked, accusingly.

I snatched my wrists out of his grasp and shook my head. "Don't make me hit you," I warned with seriousness in my voice. "He's my Alpha now."

"But he hasn't initiated you into his pack. Jeez Edrei, you know what could happen in these woods- he could have forcibly taken you and tossed you back to Alpha Thomas once he's done. You know that's happened more than once with women in our tribe, especially in these woods."

A pang of guilt bubbled its way into my stomach. I shouldn't have brushed away the seriousness of bumping into Alpha Kaleon in the woods. Reidon was right, Alphas have previously been the culprit of forcible takings.

Ironically, anything done in this territory wasn't punishable, well, at least not something like that. Alphas would never go to war over something so little and minute in their eyes. What is one damaged soul compared to the death of hundreds?

"I'll be more careful next time," I told Reidon, trying to fix my lapse in judgement. Reidon rolled his eyes.

"There won't be a next time. You'll be starting the journey to his pack by this time tomorrow."