Chapter 10

Kaelon, Zoron and I were all up before the sun broke through the horizon. Zoron was in the kitchen, making us tea and a small breakfast while Kaelon and I packed our satchels.

I had decided to take the painting of my parents and the extra set of the red Fucus uniform I had left in my drawers with me as keepsakes. Before I finished packing, I decided to go into Reidon's room. Perhaps there was something there I wanted to take.

Reidon's room was a copy of mine. The only difference was that his drawers and table were not badly scratched up like mine. I looked around his room. Searching his chest of drawers before moving onto his table.

He had stacks of paper shoved into the small side compartment. I took them out and glanced at each one before being blown away by a ripped canvas sheet hidden in the middle of the stack.

It was a small family portrait beautifully painted. I was a toddler, no more than two or three, sitting on my mum's lap, while Reidon stood next to her. Our dad stood behind us, looking proudly at the artist. I flipped the painting.

 I flipped the painting

A smile graced my face. I had no idea that this had existed. Carefully, I folded the canvas and placed it in my satchel.

We quickly ate our breakfast before two warriors- Kaid and Reina arrived at our front door to escort us up to the East Tribe.

The five of us shifted and we were on our way. The journey to the East Tribe was tedious and long. I never really liked Kaid- he was always too stuck up, loud and talkative for my taste.

Reina, on the other hand, was mellow and shy. She didn't talk our ears off and from the faces she made, she was embarrassed for Kaid and his constant chatter about himself or his family.

We neared the edge of the East Tribe by late afternoon, two days later. All five of us had never been here, so it was a surprise to all that the East Tribe has a large wooden wall surrounding the community.

The wall was made out of long logs, sharpened at the tip. There was a single entrance as far as I could see, but it was closed shut. Warriors roamed the top of the wall surveilling the surrounding area. They were all dressed in full red warrior uniforms along with war paint.

I looked back at Kaid and Reina who reaffirmed my confusion. Was there a war going on in Fucus that the East Tribe didn't know about? I wondered. War paint was only used in serious battles since the clay deposits that were used to make the mixture was hard to find and few in between.

We neared the entrance.

"Halt!" One of the warriors shouted from above. "What is your business here in the East Tribe?" He looked between Kaelon, Zoron and I, and noticed our Green uniforms. "Which pack do the three of you come from?"

"My name is Edrei," I replied in a clear, loud voice. "I was a member of the South Tribe here in Fucus before joining the Orion Pack. I am here to find out what happened to my brother- I was told he is dead."