Chapter 24

"I will discuss your terms with my commanders and get back to you sometime tomorrow. During that time you and your warriors are free to explore Orion," Kaelon told his brother once we were all out of the study.

Keyan nodded, disbanding the warriors that stood on guard in front of the study door. I looked around the hallway, noticing that our warriors were stationed around too.

My eyes landed on Anneli who was on duty. I smiled at her, acknowledging her presence.

"If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. You know where to find me," my mate continued.

Keyan nodded in response before turned away, walking outside the packhouse and joining the warriors under his command.

Grabbing my hand, Kaelon and I walked back into the study, followed closely by Zoron and Edrik.

We took our seats again, however, this time we were more relaxed and casual.

Keyan won't be joining us.

Kaelon's hand reached out to my stomach, placing his palm flat on the surface. I looked at him, joining his hand with mine.

"Our pup will be fine if you decide to sign the treaty with Arctos," I reaffirmed softly, consoling the worries spinning inside his head. "And it will be fine if you don't. The only difference is your family there Kaelon. I have no one left on my side to meet and love our pup as much as we already do."

"Your parents are still alive and you have a brother who seems interested in forming a relationship with our baby, so much so that he is willing to give us unlimited access to his lands. This is a great opportunity for our baby to be constantly surrounded by family."

"But is the risk worth it?" Zoron asked. "It's great that Keyan has offered you two unlimited access to his lands and total combat support, but what about Nublius? They are strong and vast in number."

"But if we added the number of warriors Arctos has with Orion's warriors, we'll have a bigger army than Nublius," Edrik added, finally mentioning something that supports the treaty with Keyan.

"Keyan also has treaties of own that he can call for extra support if Nublius decides to attack. We don't need to support him and cut ties with the only pack that could wipe us out. Remember the treaty with Nublius came to us with great cost. Dorian knows what his pack can do to Orion" Zoron added, still not convinced.

"Zoron, this is not just about Orion. This is also about Arctos and Kaelon's family there. Keyan is obviously desperate for our help otherwise he wouldn't have offered so much," I replied.

A scowl quickly appeared on Zoron's face. "This should only be about Orion. As much as it saddens me to hear that Arctos and Nublius are on the verge of war, they are not our concern."

"You're right, Zoron," I admit. "But who would want to ever help us when we're in need if we have that kind of mindset?"

"It's the type of mindset that will keep our pack alive and safe, Edrei. You know how the saying goes- keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

My face was plastered with a scowl now. "And what about the proverb 'you'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar'?" I countered.

I looked at Kaelon who hadn't said anything the entire conversation. He had been fixated on me, watching as I lead the discussion. "What do you think?"

"It seems like you've already made up your mind, Edrei," he replied. "You're Orion's Alpha female, I will let you decide on Orion's fate."

I turned back to Zoron. "Then I will let Keyan know we have accepted the terms of his treaty. I know you think this is not wise, but I believe otherwise."