Chapter 3

Kaelon

The scenery around me was a blur as I rushed around trees and jumped off large boulders. My fur tossed around as the cool breeze blew on me. I seemed to know where to go in this endless forest.

I stopped by a river to drink the flowing water when her scent reached my nose. I immediately perked up. I sniffed the air for traces of her sweet jasmine perfume calling me to her.

I took a few steps forward into a clearing that had just appeared. I was now in my human form.

'Kaelon,' I heard her call from behind me. I turned around, only to see a ghostly white breeze floating away. I know it's her.

I tried to catch the mist with my hands, but it disappeared before I could, dissolving into the air.

'Find me, Kaelon.' Her soft sweet voice whispered into my ear. I swung around faster, trying to get a glimpse of her only to find myself in front of a very old, rustic cabin.

Snow laid evenly on the cabin's roof and ice covered the glass windows. I noticed that the trees around me were bright green and the sun was still shining brightly. Where did this snow come from? I asked myself.

I stepped forward, keeping my eyes on the door. I pushed it open and stepped in.

The cabin was large and warm. Fires lit the wall as people around me danced and ate. It was a celebration.

In the corner of my eye, I saw her running away as her raven locks floated behind her. I rush to follow her, her sweet jasmine scent pulling me in.

No matter how fast I ran, I could never catch up.

"Stop," I ordered as she drifted through an open wooden door, closing it behind her. I ran over before trying to push the door open, getting more and more desperate as her scent started to fade away.

Soon she was gone.

I lowered my head against the frame just as my eyes focused on the intricate patterns carved into the wood. I lifted my head again to study them.

I've seen these carvings before I said to myself. I took a step back in shock once I realised where I was.

My eyes darted open, pulling me from my vivid dream. I scrambled out of bed and ran out of my room and into the hall.

There, in front of me, stood the wooden door I saw in my dreams with its intricate carvings. I opened it. The feeling of disappointment and anger washed over me in a massive tidal wave once I realised nobody was there.

"What is it, Kaelon?" I heard Zoron, my first commander, yell from behind. "Is it a security breach?"

"Should I sound the alarm?" I heard Edrik, my second commander, yell next as they ran behind me and look over my shoulder.

I slam the door shut with more force than I should have. "It's nothing," I tell them pushing down my emotions. "I thought someone was there."

Edrik's eyebrows furrowed. "No one has stayed in that room for years." He paused. "Who did you think was there?"

"Leave it," I tell him. "I'm sorry for waking the two of you up."