Chapter 17

I woke up on the last day of my heat feeling much better than the previous two days.

Although the burning sensation still covered me from head to toe, it didn't cause me any pain, at least not when Kaelon was near.

It was hard to tell whether the wavering heat in my scent still affected Kaelon. He held and caressed me whenever he could, never missing an opportunity to make skin on skin contact.

"How are you feeling now?" He asked, coming up behind me and slithering his arms around my waist.

We were standing in the kitchen, putting together an assortment of fruits for an easy breakfast.

His thumbs rubbed my stomach, a habit he had started ever since we finally took our bond to the next level- a reminder of what we're expecting to happen soon.

"Better. The burning isn't as intense and I don't have the urge to jump all over you when you're this close to me anymore."

Kaelon growled playfully. "That's a shame," he replied lowering his head onto my mark and sucking the delicate area. "I still have the urge to jump all over you."

I melted into him, sighing from the pleasure that erupted inside me. I tilted my head giving him easy access to my skin, wondering why we decided to put our clothes back on today.

Turning around to face him, I pressed my lips onto his, loving the way our lips moved in sync.

Kaelon's body stiffened slightly, enough for me to break out kiss and step back. His eyes were open, glaring at the window.

Turning around, I see Zoron who stood with his back to us. He seemed nervous, probably because Kaelon had ordered him not to disturb us.

Knowing that I had a handle on my heat, and, because of Kaelon's mark, the scent of it wouldn't make Orion's first commander itch to touch me, I pushed past my mate and walked over to the door.

"Do you want to come in?" I asked Zoron, poking my head out of the warm cabin. "Come on, my heat is almost over and it's cold this high up, even for us."

Hesitating, Zoron nodded.

Kaelon was sitting on one of the two couches in front of the fireplace. I joined him by his side while Zoron got the other couch all to himself.

"What is it Zoron?" Kaelon asked, slightly agitated to see his first commander earlier than expected.

I leaned into him, trying to soothe his annoyance, knowing full well that Zoron probably had a good reason to travel all the way up here.

"Nublius has requested an urgent meeting," the first commander announced, not one to beat around the bush.

I felt Kaelon tense as Zoron's words stunk in. His arms tightened around me, knowing that this may be the last time he got to hold me until the problem at Nublius was dealt with.

Nublius had called upon Orion for a meeting and it was Kaelon's duty as Alpha to accept it or risk losing a valuable ally. It also meant he had to leave me behind in Orion. He was needed elsewhere.

Trying to not bite my lips, I forced myself to face Kaelon. With my eyes staring into his violet hues, I pushed the words out of my mouth, praying to the Goddess that they don't come out shaky and anxious.

"You need to go and deal with this. I'll be fine, just come back to me in one piece." My voice came out levelled and calm despite the raging nerves and anxiety that washed over me.

I held onto Kaelon's stare, not blinking or showing any signs of weakness as I tried to comfort him and rid him of any anxiety he had about leaving so soon after I had my heat.