Chapter 12

I felt my windpipe closing, stopping me from making any noise. The lump I had in my throat didn't help either as it grew bigger and bigger with every shallow breath I took.

"We were locked up in a small room, waiting for when they wanted to-" was all I managed to say before my throat completely shut down, blocking any air from escaping.

Kaelon's arms were around me, but even that didn't help. I couldn't bring myself to tell my saviours what happened.

"You don't need to do this. There were other females who can do this instead," Kaelon cooed, pulling me into him. I shook my head as I snuggled into his chest, breathing in his scent and forcing the knot in my throat to untie itself. I needed to do this.

When I was ready, I pulled myself away from him and cleared my throat.

Zoron was sitting opposite me, next to the East Tribe's female Commander- Zula, waiting patiently for me to share what had happened. Hendrik was there too, standing behind them as he watched me with fatherly concern.

"But need to ask this," I finally manage to croak out, pushing down all my feelings and locking them in a little mental box.

Turning to Kaelon, I prayed to the Goddess he couldn't answer my question. "Do you know why they have yellow eyes?"

Kaelon's eye gazed over as if he had just put on a facade. "Not entirely," he replied, but I knew he was lying. Reidon was right- every Alpha knew what this meant.

I shook my head, jolting from my seat next to him, anger rising as I thought about Reidon. Gone were the tears, replaced now by nothing but furry.

"The Orion Alpha's infatuation with you is what caused him to cast me aside. My mate is going to die and there's nothing I can do about it!" I heard Reidon scream, my brain replaying the memory over and over again.

A growl escaped from my lips. "So it's true. What Reidon told me was true! It's your fault he doesn't have a mate anymore."

"Reidon was there?" Hendrik growled, before storming over to Zula. "I thought you said he was dead! He's not among the bodies recovered."

Zula snapped to him, eyes wide. "I thought he was dead!" she stuttered jumping up from her seat. "He went missing so I just assumed he died somewhere in the woods! This is not my fault! I have a hundred or so people to look after. I can't drop everything to go and find his body!" she replied causing Hendrik to snarl.

The commander of the southern tribe yanked Zula's hand, pulling her out of the room. Leaving me, Zoron and Kaelon alone to deal with our own problem.

My eyes flickered back to Kaelon whos eyes had ever left me. "This is your fault," I snarled.

Kaelon jumped up, slowly walking towards me. "Let me explain," he pleaded, "I don't control everyone's fate."

"I don't want you to come near me," I growled feeling the betrayal deep inside me. He had caused this on Reidon whether intentionally or not. I can't forgive for that, at least not now. No matter what he says.

With anger riding me hard, I couldn't control my tongue. "Reidon is coming for you," I bit out venomously. "If I knew what I know now, I probability would've taken him straight to Orion."

Kaelon's eye went hard as he made his way towards me, closing the distance between us and grabbing the back of my neck. His glowing violet eyes peered into me, waiting for me to submit to him.

I held my position. Eyes not blinking, fueled by the fire just ignited inside of me.

Growling, his grip on my neck tightened uncomfortably, forcing me to submit. "Think before you speak, Edrei. You might be my mate, but my role as Alpha will always come first. Don't threaten Orion again."