Chapter 20

Punishment marks.

Why did people call it that?

Probably because of the pain that came with it. But when Kaelon's canines pierced my skin, I didn't feel any sort of pain- I felt his pain.

At first, it was a surprise, a shock to say the least, and when he marked me a second time, I couldn't help the tears that pooled in my eyes.

He was so hurt and so heartbroken.

The third time was no different, only this time, I couldn't tell if the pain was mine or his. With every bite, the emotions inside grew until his pain merged with mine, bottling itself inside me.

Perhaps that's why they called them punishment marks because your punishment is to feel exactly how your mate feels. All their emotions, all their hurt, all of their soul.

But nobody had ever mentioned this. They always said that punishment marks inflicted the worst pain possible, that it felt like you were being burned alive, on the verge of death, and they weren't wrong.

My soul was burning because of Kaelon's pain.

It had taken me most of the morning to realise that the pain I felt wasn't just mine but also his.

The marks weren't a punishment, they were understanding.

I understood exactly how he felt and I couldn't find it in me to stay completely angry at him. His feelings were also mine.

I glanced at them, five sets of circular bruises scattered all over my arms, almost fully healed by this point. My eyes flickered to Kaelon, sitting on his desk, eyes staring at me.

I could tell he felt guilty about them because he didn't know what I knew. He thought he had hurt me beyond comprehension and I didn't want to tell him differently, no, I wanted to show him when I got the chance.

"Do they still hurt?" Kaelon asked, getting up from his chair and walking over. He kneeled next to me, softly grabbing my arm and skimming his thumb over the bruises.

The small electrical surges that travelled through me made my spine tingle. I wanted to relax against him, but I was too stubborn to do so.

"They're okay," I told him, watching as he gently massaged the area, sending nothing but sparks onto my body.

"Edrei, I'm sorry," he said, apologising for the hundredth time this morning. He looked at me with concern, brows furrowed and mouth slightly curved down.

My hands flew to his cheek, softly grazing my thumbs across his cheekbone. Comforting him and the ache inside my heart.

Both our heads turned to the door when two knocks echoed into the study, breaking our silence.

We were both alone in the study. Zoron and Edrik hadn't once poked their heads in as if they just knew what was going on between the two of us.

I could smell Sascha standing behind the door, causing me to scowl.

The she-wolf had the audacity to come to the pack house this morning and continue her daily routine, organising the pack breakfast and acting as if nothing was wrong.

It made me want to rip her throat out even more.

Kaelon turned back to me with his jaw slightly clenched when he saw my face. Pushing himself up, he walked over to the door.

The door swung open before he could reach it revealing Sascha holding two plates filled with food.

"I brought you two breakfast," she said before walking towards us. I pressed my lips together, stopping myself from growling.