Chapter 15

Sascha has been staring at me for the past half an hour. Her brows were slightly scrunched, lips slightly curved downwards, and her eyes were slightly hardened.

She looked like she was about to cry.

Her face had been like that ever since she saw Kaelon's mark on my shoulder and it was starting to get ridiculous.

I pushed myself up from my seat and stormed up to her.

The common room was partially empty. Only a small handful of wolves still lingered about- the breakfast rush had finished.

Kaelon had decided to skip breakfast, going to the study with his commanders. He ordered me to eat before joining us, something my stomach agreed with.

"What is your problem?" I asked with my voice controlled and smooth. I was aware that everyone would be staring if I yelled or made a scene, so I took the easier route, acting as if we were just two females having a quick conversation.

Her eyes hardened as she stared back at me in challenge. I could feel eyes slowly start to turn on us as the tension in the room slowly started to build up.

As if she sensed enough stares, Sascha's eyes softened, her gaze lowered and her body started to rock up sobs. "You didn't need to go to this extreme to make a point Edrei!" she yelled, loud enough for everyone in the room and kitchen to hear.

Whoever hadn't been looking at us, they were now.

"What are you talking about?"

Sascha pointed to my mark. "I'm sorry for what I said yesterday," she continued, sobbing ridiculously loud, "I didn't mean to make you angry! I was just telling you my side of the story! I know Kaelon is your mate, you don't need to rub it in. You didn't need to force him to mark you because of me!"

A scowl appeared on my face as the wolves around us started to whisper, trying to work out what had happened. I looked around, now self-conscious and wanting to defend myself, but at the same time, I didn't want to air out any dirty laundry or announce that I was progressing through the second stage of my heat.

Adding to gossip was never really my thing.

"Edrei isn't rubbing it in," Zoron's voice boomed from the arched entryway. "Kaelon marked her. He's her mate. That's what mate's do."

All eyes turned onto the first commander who was standing underneath the arched entryway. His arms were crossed and his face showed nothing but seriousness.

I prayed a silent thank you to him.

"You don't understand Zoron!" Sascha whined, continuing on.

"I do," Zoron cut her off before she could continue. "Don't you have anything productive to do today?"

Sascha growled lowly before storming off, back into the kitchen. The eyes of nosey wolves following her before they flickered back to me.

I couldn't help but turn to them, warning them to mind their own business.

"You need to be careful around her," Zoron whispered as he closed in on me. "Most wolves know what she's like, but many more don't. She was the light of the pack when her father was Alpha and not much has changed since then. The people of the pack are more likely to believe her lies. Make sure you try not to set her off."

Turning to him, I let out a huff. "Are you trying to say I need to bow down to her?"

Letting out a chuckle, Zoron shook his head. "No, I would prefer it if you didn't, but even Kaelon gives in to her sometimes. She holds a lot of power with the people, so until you develop your own relationship with them as Luna, you need to be careful."