Chapter 38

"Anneli!" I screamed, crawling towards her.

Her grasps for air are loud as her blood pools in her neck, slowly suffocating her.

My hands scuttle around the spear when I reach her. I don't know if I should pull it out or not.

Tears swell my eyes and I take in her condition. "Don't you dare die," I order her. My eyes darted around in a frenzy, trying to spot anyone that would help her, but there's no one.

"You stupid fucking bitch," I cried. "Why did you have to jump in front of it? Why did you have to save me?"

Her breaths are becoming slower as blood pours out of her mouth and wound. She's drowning in her blood.

I broke the length of the spear, making it shorter and throwing away the rest. "I don't know what to do, Anneli," I cried. "I don't know what I need to do. You need to help me. Please. I don't know what I do!"

My brain is scrambled. My body movements are jagged and unsure. I hate myself for being so helpless and I hate myself for not having the ability to save her.

The more time I waste thinking about what to do, the less time she has.

"Shift back, Anneli," I ordered. Maybe if I carry her back to safety, Mae and the like can help heal her. My eyes flicker down to her. "Did you hear me?" I cried. "Shift! Please!"

Anneli doesn't respond and in the back of my mind, I knew why. But that wasn't an option right now, she couldn't be gone.

My fingers laced through her soft fur before I nudge and shake her. "Fucking do it!" I cried. "Shift!"

I shook her again and again, trying to get her to do as I say. I don't care anymore about the fighting that's going on around me, I wanted my best friend safe.

Determined to do something, I pushed myself up. Grunting through the pain that radiated from my ankle, I stood on two feet before picking up her paw and trying to drag her out of there.

"Come on!" I growl but she's too heavy for me to do it alone.

I scream as I feel an arm wrapping around me. Strong muscles ripped me away from her as I kicked, screamed and begged for them to let me go.

"She's gone," Keyan growled. "You need to worry about yourself now!"

"Let me fucking go," I screamed, clawing at his arm.

He carried me away from the battleground, handling me over to Zoron as if they were playing pass the fucking parcel.

Zoron wrapped a blanket around me, letting the cotton soak up all the blood that has splattered on my body. "Your ankle is going to get worse if you keep fighting me. I'm trying to keep you alive here!"

He carried me into the cabin where Mae and the other healers were stationed. Pushing me down onto a bed, he ordered me to stop.

"Only if you promise to go back for her. I want you to go back for Anneli," I begged, refusing to believe what Keyan said.

Zoron nodded. "I promise to find her, but I won't leave until my grandmother examines your injuries."

I nodded finally relaxing. Zoron motioned for Mae who wobbled next me.

She softly touched my ankle, feeling around the swollen joint before shaking her head.

"You stood on it didn't you?" She scowled. "You could've done some serious damage."

I gritted my teeth, pushing down the pain at crept up my leg as she tried to examine the sides of my foot.

She moved up to my cuts, softly shaking her head with every new one she saw. Snapping her fingers at Zoron, she demanded a clean cloth and a needle and thread.