Chapter 26

You know the sign ;)

Pearie xx

Chapter 26

"What are we going to do about the spring ceremony?" Zoron asked, walking into the quiet study where Kaelon was working on his desk and I was silently reading next to him. "Spring is almost over, we need to accept one of these invitations or we'll miss out."

I heard Kaelon sigh before tidying up his desk, making room for the small stack of papers Zoron had brought with him.

"These are all the invitations that haven't expired yet. Beothucus, Gregoryi, Tundarum, and Irremotus," Zoron continued, laying down each invitation according to the pack he named before crossing his arms.

The two of us watched as Kaelon picked up each piece of paper, carefully reading what was written.

"Let's accept Tundarum's invitation. I haven't seen Logan in a while," Kaelon replied, handing Zoron the invitation and ripping up the others.

"And what tribe will you take this time?"

"Any one of yours. You pick the warriors you think are ready. I want their names on my desk by tomorrow afternoon," Kaelon ordered before grabbing the reports he was reading before Zoron interrupted.

I watched Zoron nod in understanding before turning on his heels and exiting the study.

My brows furrowed together. The whole conversation probably took no more than 5 minutes, but it had the power to change people's lives.

"Is that it? Is that how you pick the pack you will meet up with in Terra Nulius for the viewing ceremony? Don't you need to, I don't know, pray before you decide on something like this?" I found myself asking.

I was surprised, I honestly thought there was more to it than Kaelon deciding on a whim. I always imagined Alphas being under some sort of spell from the Goddess where she guides him into picking the right path.

"I told you before Edrei, I don't control everyone's fates. The Goddes doesn't speak to me as much as everyone thinks," Kaelon replied, not bothering to look up from the report he was flipping through. "I'll be leaving in a week for about 6 days," he continued, this time looking up to meet my gaze. "I'll try and be back at the earliest possible date. I don't want to be away from you or our pup for long."

"I know," I replied, grabbing his hand. "But you don't need to worry about me or our baby. We'll both be here when you come back."

Kaelon smiled, pulling me into him and grasping my lips with his. Our lips moved together, fuelled by the emotions we felt for each other.

"Come on, you need to get through all of these reports before you leave, otherwise you'll be drowning in them when you get back," I told him after I broke away from our kiss.

He smiled lovingly at me. "I like it when you take charge."

"I know," I giggled, turning back to my book and reading about Orion's history.

The two of us spent the next few hours just enjoying each other's company. We both sat in silence, doing our own thing, only interacting with each other every so often.

Kaelon decided to take a break a little after lunchtime. He pulled me up, making sure to caress my growing stomach whenever he could. Sometimes he would kneel on the floor, softly pressing his ear into my stomach and listen for our pup's heartbeat.

I was almost 8 weeks pregnant which meant the baby's heartbeat was slowly getting louder and stronger. Kaelon first noticed it a couple of days ago- a rapid thumping in my womb, soft yet so clear and real.