Chapter 29

Zoron, Edrik and I spent the next few days planning for a surprise attack. We went out to the different tribes frequently, preparing the warriors for anything and everything.

The whole pack was on alert, just in case Alpha Dorian had heard about Kaelon's absence and decided to attack us now.

Zoron speculated that it was highly unlikely he would know, but we prepared for it nonetheless. We had double our patrols and increased the size of each squad from 3 to 5 wolves.

We switched our routes with every shift, making them unpredictable and seemingly random. Zoron and Edrik made sure every inch of our territory line was covered by running in every second patrol while I stayed behind in the pack house.

It has been 2 days since Kaelon left and so far, it's been fine. Like I theorised, keeping myself busy for most of the day left little to no room to think about him and made each day go faster.

It was during the times where I was left alone that I found the time to miss him. That's why I decided to invited Irina and Anneli over for lunch.

I sat in the common room, waiting for them to arrive with a freshly baked casserole in front of me. It was one of my mum's recipe, one I haven't made in a long time. I just hoped I remembered everything.

Irina was the first to arrive, seeing as her house was closer than Anneli's. I greeted her, telling her to take a seat anywhere she wanted. She sat opposite me, quickly getting into her latest food craving find.

Anneli arrived not long later, seating herself on the end of the table, between Irina and I. We both greeted her before splitting the casserole between the three of us.

"This is so good," Irina perked up after taking a bite.

"My mum constantly made it when I was a pup. It's one of my favourite dishes," I replied.

"Mine too! No offence to my own mother, but I lived for the times your mum made this," Anneli added, closing her eyes in pleasure after taking another bite.

I smiled. "I know. You always followed me home when you heard that she was going to make this."

Anneli shrugged, unashamed of her actions.

"You know what would go really well with this?" Irina said. "More cheese and maybe a side of pickles."

I laughed, knowing our obsession with these acidic cucumbers. Pushing myself up, I quickly raided the kitchen for pickles, cheese, chocolate and mustard.

Quickly placing the chocolate in a bowl, I lit up the stove and hovered it over the open flame, melting it.

Bring everything back to the table, I laid the selections out. "I got pickles, mustard, melted chocolate and cheese."

Anneli scrunched her brows together. "What are you going to use the mustard and melted chocolate for?"

"Dipping sauce," Irina replied, quickly dismissing her question and rearranging the bowls in front of me. The way she moved and sat made it seem as if she was purposefully excluding Anneli.

I saw Anneli's eyes narrowing at Irina in displeasure before rolling her eyes. My heart slightly sank, realising that although I have bonded with Irina, Anneli hasn't.

Irina opened the jar of pickles, taking one out before sliding the container to me. I watched as she eyed the mustard and melted chocolate before looking up at me.

"You choose. Mustard or melted chocolate?" Irina asked, pushing the bowls in front of me, waiting for me to decide.

I looked between the two, eyes narrowing while I searched deep, deep down for the one I wanted.