Chapter 19

Kaelon

I was torn.

Sascha and Edrei have given me two different stories, two very different perspectives.

As Alpha, I couldn't side with Edrei without good reason. It wouldn't be fair to the rest of the wolves in my pack if I continuously sided with my mate. I needed to be fair and just, that's why I wanted to hear Sascha's side of things and she was very convincing.

Looking at Zoron to give me a helping hand on the situation, I motioned for him to add his opinion.

"I don't doubt Edrei's version of events. Mae confirmed the scent of the herbs to what females use to cleanse their wombs," my first commander said and it was all I needed to take my mate's side.

As I'm about to lay down Sasch's punishment, the she-wolf started crying. Tears streamed down her face as she sobbed loudly.

"I can't hold it in anymore! It's going to eat me up inside if I don't say anything now," she wailed, sobbing uncontrollably. "Please forgive me Edrei, but we need to come clean!"

I tensed up immediately. What did Sacha mean when she said 'we'?

"Edrei was the one who asked for those herbs!" She cried, eyes watery as she stared into my eyes. I searched them, finding nothing but truth.

Anger exploded inside me. I glanced at Edrei, eyes furious.

She stood next to me, brows slightly furrowed and lips parted in surprise shock.

I guess she wasn't expecting Sascha to spill their secret.

"She told me she was going into heat and ordered me to prepare them, but I couldn't do that to you or the pack, Kaelon. That's why I purposely missed a few ingredients."

A growl erupted from me as I thought about their cunning plan. My eyes were still on my mate as I watched anger rise in her.

Sascha was always loyal to the pack, always putting Orion first and sacrificing her time every morning. She had always been a role model, someone the pack looked up to when they needed an Alpha female. 

And she might've been, if I never found Edrei.

"You little liar!" Edrei screamed before turning to me, cheeks slightly red from embarrassment. "Kaelon I would never-"

"Please don't throw me under the table Edrei!" Sascha begged, desperately wanting to relieve herself of guilt. "You told me before that you never wanted to give up being a commander- having a baby would force you to step down. Remember? You planned on going through your heat with Kaelon, then drink the herbs so you'll lose the baby. You said it was the only way for everyone to be happy!"

My heart smashed into tiny pieces. The truth finally came out and it fucking hurt.

I gritted my teeth together, trying to push down my wolf who wanted to be let out right here and now.

Sascha always blurted out the truth when she was stressed. It was something she did ever since we met.

I didn't doubt anything that just came out of her mouth, especially when Edrei herself had told me before exactly that.