Ch 2: Old Memories and Lost Tears // The Iris

America tapped his foot impatiently. Japan and South Korea were supposed to meet him at his house over thirty minutes ago. They had planned a day of fun and video games weeks in advance. It all kind of worked out because they were over here early for that UN meeting in a month. Anyway, this meetup was the only thing America had going for him on that specific day and man, was he bored. After what felt like an hour of waiting, Japan rang the doorbell, carrying South Korea over her shoulder. America smiled and let the two in, looking at South Korea with amusement. The poor Korean country looked tired and flustered at the same time.

"Hey Japan," America said, deciding to ignore the fact they were late, it was probably just a flight problem. He looked at South Korea, snorted because of how ridiculously flustered he looked and added, "Hi, South Korea."

"こんにちは (Hi), America!" Japan hugged America. "Sorry we were late, our flight got delayed because North Korea decided he'd stay behind that minute." With that, she casually dropped the Korean country on the floor. He let out a loud yelp and jumped to his feet, yelling, "What did you do that for?!" He couldn't stay mad for long, however, because Japan was already heading towards the living room so that they all could commence the gaming session. America couldn't help but laugh at South Korea's anger and followed Japan. After cooling down a bit, South Korea joined them.

After playing a variety of games on a variety of consoles, Japan got bored and left the room. After a few minutes, she came back inside with a movie she had brought. The movie Japan had brought was some sort of romance movie about some random kid on Mars whose name America didn't know. The reason America didn't know was because he dozed off within the first few minutes of the movie. When America finally woke up, it was near the end of the movie. America, who was startled when he woke up, looked around to find Japan on the edge of her seat, watching the movie intently. America could tell that she would probably use this movie as inspiration for more of her cringy fanfics. South Korea, meanwhile, wasn't even looking at the screen. He was, instead, looking at Japan's face with a small smile. America smirked and noted to himself that he should ask Southie about this crush of his later.

When the movie was finally over, Japan was internally squealing. America was used to this by now, though. Japan fangirled at every romance she even slightly shipped, even movie characters who had no relation to her whatsoever. America had heard that she shipped countries too and couldn't help wondering who Japan shipped him with. Either way, Japan, with a bright smile, dragged South Korea to the door. America followed them. They said their goodbyes and parted ways, with Japan talking nonstop to South Korea about all of the shipping inspiration the movie gave her. America waved them goodbye and closed his front door while the other countries walked to their rental car and drove away.

Now, America was alone with his thoughts. He looked at the clock. It was 11:36. America walking into the kitchen, chugged a cup of water and filled up the cup with water again. The tired country went upstairs to his room with the cup and found what he was looking for, it was a flower. A special flower, one that his mom gave him a long time ago.

~~-~~

It was 1783.

America had just defeated his father in the Revolutionary war. America knew his father just wanted the best for him, but he wanted to be in charge of himself and his people, he wanted to be free- something his father never let him be out of fear he would get hurt. France, America's adoptive mother, looked at him with pride and love. America smiled at France and turned to the horizon, where Britain's ship was bobbing away in defeat. America's pride and sense of accomplishment faded away as he started to think about what might happen to him now that he's independent. With uncertainty pricking at his mind, he looked at his mom and asked, "Mom? What if I'm not able to govern myself? What if I'm not strong enough?"