Chapter 40: Never letting go \ The Wrong Thing For The Right Reason

As Russia followed Puerto Rico's stretcher through the hallways, feeling like a ghost, he couldn't help but feel a sad familiarity with this all.

This all reminded him of... what was it? A few days ago? It felt like weeks had passed since then. This all reminded him of when America first collapsed. The memory of the ambulance shifted into Russia's mind, and he slightly bit his lip.

From what Russia had picked up and been told, Puerto Rico had betrayed America... but his death also meant America will never, ever come back...

And Russia didn't know what he would do with himself if that ever happened.

It was crazy to think of the past month and a half. Who knew so much could happen in such little time? But now, here Russia was, in love with his ex-enemy and hoping with all his heart that someone he barely knew won't die.

If Russia was being honest with himself, he wasn't sure how Puerto Rico could survive this. By the time Russia had run down all those stairs and reached Puerto Rico, he was surrounded by a thick pool of blood that made Russia's heart drop. The blue on Puerto Rico's flag was barely visible, red splattered over it in a cruel pattern.

Russia's brows furrowed and his lips tightened into a grim, worried expression.

Will he ever be able to see America again?

--x--

Chaos... is the word DC would use to describe this current situation. It was clear to DC that Canada was in over his head if he thought he could control all these states. For some of them, the reality of the situation had only just now crashed on them and they were either crying or completely numb. Others were just as stressed out as DC... and a very select few were just avoiding their screwed up feelings completely by being chaotic. Luckily, Canada's group only had one of those, which, for some odd reason, was Wisconsin. DC was almost sure Michigan would be the one to go crazy in this group but, surprisingly, he was just in the corner, shockingly silent. DC was saddened by the sight.

Anyone who didn't know their family very well would say that they seem awfully normal, but to DC, who was there since practically the very beginning, it was... so incredibly sad. His siblings, who would normally be at each other's throats or generally creating chaos, were either numb, completely silent, or in tears. It was an unfamiliar sight, one DC wasn't entirely sure how to deal with.

They were all confused and scared... and they wanted their Dad back. They wanted their life back. Sure, their life before this was crazy and DC could barely stand it, but this eerie silence and just... everything made DC's stomach churn with uncertainty and fear.

Canada, who was trying to get Wisconsin to stop wreaking chaos, suddenly paused as his phone started ringing. Canada reached into his pocket, casting Wisconsin a worried glance, before looking at the caller ID. DC turned to look at him, watching as Canada's face became somewhat worried as he accepted the call and held the phone to his ear.

"Hello?" Canada said, a worried tone just barely noticeable in his hushed voice. DC could only watch as Canada's expression became more and more worried, his voice now so hushed that even DC couldn't pick out the words. Wisconsin, however, who must've been close enough to hear, stopped completely, an uncertain and uncharacteristically worried expression all over his face. The room seemed to buzz with worry as every state stared expectantly and worriedly at the two, afraid that their worst fears had come true and that the worst things had happened.

Canada nodded, his expression worried as his lips formed a grim, afraid frown. DC was holding his breath at this point, his mind racing with all the bad things that might've happened. The phone call was obviously important and obviously bad. Was it about them? Who called? What's happened?