Ch 43: Everything goes black... again \\ The Alleyway

America was at a computer, Russia over his shoulder. You see, their plan was dependent on the fact that they would find Confederate, which, under normal circumstances, would be damn near impossible. But, lucky for them, they were in America. With... America. Thus, America had his ways to find what he wanted and search for what he wanted.

...

They're called cameras.

In any big city, you can find cameras everywhere. Whether it's for security reasons or for overviewing traffic or for really any reason, there are cameras. And, a whole bunch of them are connected to the police.

Guess who has access to the police?

Er- well, pretty much has access to the police. It's complicated.

Anywho, here they were, searching video feed after video feed for a certain X-faced figure. Now, it's not like they were going in blind and going through every single camera in New York City, one by one. No... that'd be pretty dumb. No, they were using facial recognition software- or at least trying to use facial recognition software- to locate Confederate. The only problem is... well, it's just that the only pictures they really had for reference... were pictures of America. Thus, the software was having a tremendously hard time actually locating Confederate.

Thus, Russia and America were left waiting... and waiting... and waiting as the software scrolled and flicked through camera after camera in the blink of an eye, yet somehow still being unable to find any matches.

In that dimly lit room, seconds stretched into minutes and minutes bled into hours. It was practically impossible to tell the time or how much time had even passed.

For all they knew, they had already blown it.

For all they knew, Confederate was already long gone, and they had missed their best snake to kill the snake before it even came out of its egg.

America didn't know how long he had been sitting there, anxiously staring at that bright screen. Simply watching it was exhausting somehow... but he had to do it. He had to find him. America had no avenge what he had lost.

He had to beat Confederate into the ground for what he's done.

And so the time passed... and passed... and passed, Time crawling to a devastatingly slow pace.

America was so bored out of his mind that he almost missed it.

In an instant, America leaped forward, waking the almost asleep Russian up as he practically slammed his fingers onto the spacebar to make the software stop on the video feed it was on.

There he was.

America felt rage and success brew within the depths of his heart.

There that damn bastard was.

He was walking down the city streets, seemingly concentrated on something. If America had to bet on anything, He was probably headed towards Penn station to catch a train to Providence. America growled slightly, narrowing his eyes.

Not on America's watch.

But they really had to be quick if they wanted to catch him.

Standing up abruptly, America raced to the door, calling out, "Come on, we have a confederate to catch!"

Staring bewilderedly at the computer, Russia got up as well, staring at the figure on the screen before growling and chasing after America. He clenched his hands into fists. This time would be different.

This time, America wasn't alone.

This time, Russia wasn't going to let him die.

--x--