Ch 45: Together? \\ Always.

When America glowed and Confederate's body proceeded to collapse to the ground, Russia didn't know how to react. His throat had gone dry and suddenly, unexpectedly, he could do nothing.

He could do nothing.

He had rushed forward, desperation in his eyes and expression as he grabbed Confederate- America?- by the shoulders. It didn't take too long for Russia to realize there was an internal struggle of sorts. The shapes of Confederate's flag were barely recognizable at this point, a weird blend of America's and Confederate's flags.

So what else could Russia do but call for America to wake up? To come back to him. Again.

He did not want to lose America again.

But America's flag seemed to be draining more and more out of his face. Confederate was winning. A desperate plea rose in Russia's throat.

"America!"

America- Confederate?- jerked suddenly, as if he had heard his name. Russia was shocked to silence, and, after a few moments, kept on calling America's name, hoping for another response. And, feeling gradual relief hit him, America gradually began to react more and more to his own name, his expression even twisting slightly with annoyance.

But Russia didn't care.

America could hear him.

America only reacted to his name, but... still... It was something.

But then... something happened.

America's expression contorted suddenly, then went still.

The lines of America's flag that had begun to groggily form were suddenly gone from his face, and Russia felt his heart drop. In shock and unprocessed sorrow, Russia gently grabbed America by his cheek, his brows upturned, "A... America?"

No response.

Russia's expression contorted with sorrow, and he called out suddenly, "America, please!"

And then something changed. Clicked into place, maybe... and Russia saw it.

And, the tide suddenly turning, America's flag gradually began to return, until there was none of Confederate's left. Russia blinked in disbelief, unable to find any more words to say. Did this... Did this mean America won? It was... It was all over?

And, like a dream...

America opened his eyes.

Russia, much like before, rushed forward, pulling America into a quick hug. Huh... deja vu. But that didn't matter now.

America was back in his own body.

Er- Russia thinks so, at least.

But- did they... was that it? They... won? It didn't really feel all that real. None of it did.

"Hi, Ruski."

Russia let out a relieved laugh. Or was it a sob? Russia couldn't quite tell. He was so happy.

"Hi, you dumb dork."

America let out a small laugh, "Words hurt, you know."

Russia smiled, letting silence fall around them as they hugged. It was... it's so hard to explain, but... somehow that hug meant so much more than it let on. It was safety, it was relief, it was... it was impossible to explain. It marked an end of something, and the beginning of another. The beginning of something... something that Russia never thought he'd have the courage to have. Something he never thought he'd have, period.

And it was... it was nice.

It was wonderful.

And Russia couldn't stop smiling.

And, in a strange impulse, an answer in and of itself, Russia pulled away from the hug. America's confession resonating softly in his mind, his hands reached forward, grabbing onto the sides of America's head and gently caressing his cheeks. He leaned forward, and put his forehead against America's own, their lips dangerously close but not touching.

Neither moved. Neither made a sound.

The only movement was that of their hearts, and that of their breath.

Maybe Russia should've gone for the kiss, but he didn't. Instead, he simply sat there, holding America's head as America's hands awkwardly traveled to Russia's shoulders as well, unsure and cautious.

"It's over." America said softly with an equally soft yet also boundlessly unsure smile, the sound slipping into the stillness and contentedness of the moment.

And, just like that, Russia was smiling softly back, his mind revelling in the moment, the moment he thought he'd never have. This moment. This awesome, amazing moment. "Yeah," He spoke, almost breathlessly, "it's over."

And though they could've moved on, could've thought about all they lost, could've thought about the sorrow and the pain and the ones left behind...

They instead leaned forward, revelling in that shared moment and stretching it out for eternity.

And, moving forward like it was the most natural thing in the world, their lips had connected.

Russia couldn't describe that moment even if he tried. It was... it was like everything good in the world crashed into him all at once, overwhelming him with such a sense of happiness and giddiness and contentment that he felt like a little kid again.

And, just like that, an idea- a fact- slowly and calmly dawned on them

Things would be okay.

They had each other now.

And, before Russia knew it, that moment of complete contentment- that moment of America's lips on his- was over, and they were looking at each other, smiling softly and looking at each other as if they were the only people in the entire world.

"Is that a good enough answer to your confession?" Russia spoke- softly, as to not shatter the pink haze they seemed to dwell in.

America suddenly grinned, a small laugh escaping his lips, "Yeah, yeah... it is."

They seemed to stay there for an eternity more before America's expression fell the slightest bit. Feeling himself frown at the way America's lips twitched downward, Russia asked, "America?"

America's eyes flickered up to meet Russia's, having drifted away from Russia's gaze. Giving a small, unsure frown he got up to his feet, holding out his hand for Russia to take, "Let's... let's go home, okay? We have so much to do."

Russia gave America a confused look before grabbing America's hand and letting America pull him up, "So much to do?"

America's eyes seemed to cloud with thought as he spoke, "I... I didn't see Rhode Island or Hawaii anywhere in my mind."

Russia's brows furrowed, his mind vaguely recognizing the names. America's kids... he thinks. Within seconds, his own smile had slipped away, and he squeezed America's hand, gently saying, "We can..." Russia trailed off, his mind at a loss. America had lost so much, and the happiness of their little moment was fading quickly.

"We can find them."

"And what if we don't?" America spoke, hopelessness settling in his voice.

Russia looked at America before saying determinedly, "Then... then we can find a way to move on, together. I'm not letting you face this alone anymore."

America blinked, turning and looking up at Russia. He seemed to pause for a few minutes before smiling, hesitant and unsure, his voice almost a whisper, "Together?"

Russia squeezed America's hand, his smile returning, soft and gentle.

...

"Always."