Ch 1: Happiness that's sure to last forever // The Tea Set

It was a Saturday afternoon when America's doorbell rang. America had been working on extra papers about the wall for the last few minutes when he heard it ring. America hadn't been expecting anyone, and he didn't have anyone from his government coming over to debrief him on something. He wasn't expecting another country either, especially since countries live in their capital cities. The countryhuman's meeting at UN's New York headquarters wasn't supposed to happen for another month, too. Confused, the American country went to his door and opened it. Behind the door stood a smiling, maple-leaf man. This maple-leaf man, obviously, is the glorious Canada himself. Behind Canada stood their dad, Britain.

"Surprise!" Canada exclaimed with a smile, holding his arms out for a hug. "We thought we'd surprise you before the meeting!"

America, startled and very confused, stood there for a second until he finally processed what had happened. When he realized what was going on, he felt a swell of happiness and hugged his brother, "I appreciate you coming here just to surprise me, but why are you all the way out here? There's no reason to, especially with the meeting maybe a little more than a month away."

Canada gave America a questioning look, "You don't know?"

"Know what?"

Canada chuckled to himself, "You'll figure it out tomorrow." America rolled his eyes at that. Of course, he should've known his brother wouldn't tell him anything. It didn't matter, really. If it was something important, he would be told by his government sooner rather than later.

Britain was the first to go inside after he greeted his son, of course. Britain sat in one of America's chairs and only then did America notice that his dad was holding a tea set box... thing. America didn't know the name for it. Britain went to the nearest table and opened the box. America's eyes widened when he saw what was inside.

Britain chuckled at America's reaction, "Yes, it's about time I used this tea set instead of being afraid it'll break again." Britain laughed again at an old memory America himself was remembering. What was inside the box was an exact replica of a tea set that Britain had when America was a child. When America rebelled against his father, he had broken that tea set and thrown Britain's tea away in a fit of- admittedly childish- rage. But when WWII ended, America made some of his best craftsmen make an exact replica that he later gave to Britain, as thanks, and as an apology.

America smiled as he reminisced and sat down with Britain and Canada. They talked and drank tea Britain decided to make. They practically talked the whole day away, laughing and teasing, arguing and convincing. When the two finally left to find a hotel in D.C. for the night, America went back to his work, now with a happy smile on his face. Though them just coming over and talking with him seemed like a small gesture, it meant a lot to America, especially since they live hundreds of miles away.

America loves these small moments, loves the moments where he could talk and smile and waste the whole day away with people he holds dear.

Little did America know, that was the last time he would feel so happy.

------

Hello, smol beans!

This is my very first fanfic so sorry if my pacing and upload schedule is awful ;~;

For reference in later chapters,

~~-~~ means a happy memory,

--~-- means a sad memory, and

---x--- means time skip.

Also, I was looking for happy songs in my youtube playlist and realized I didn't have any so uhhhh I just put a cover of hey brother in cuz Canada's here

I'm great at decisions.

Tschüss!

-Selva