Ch 27: The things you figure out under the moon \\ The Chat with a Sassy Cat

Russia opened his eyes. He was in a clearing. Russia saw the prairie grass around him wave in the wind, but felt no wind himself.

Russia got up to his feet quickly to get a good look at his surroundings. To Russia's right, the clearing cut off abruptly into a sheer drop. Russia's eyes widened. America was sitting there, close to the edge. He wasn't sitting on the edge, but he was close enough for Russia to be terrified for him. Heck, America was so close to the edge that if he took too many steps backwards, he would fall. America had a black suit on, almost like he was heading towards a meeting.

However, taking a closer look, that wasn't the full picture. Despite the noisy rustling of the long grass, Russia was able to faintly hear America cry and see the racking of his body with each sob.

"America...?"

At the sound of Russia's voice, America turned his head and some of his upper body sharply to face the taller country. Russia felt his heart clench at the sight. America looked so... sad and hopeless. Tears were rolling down his cheeks and his signature glasses were gone, revealing pitch-black eyes as well as a scar over one of them. Russia's breath caught in his throat. Black eyes.... Russia knew what black eyes meant. Every country did. Russia felt tears start to threaten him at the thought.

That horrid thought... But then again, it's not like Russia doesn't know what's going to happen, it's just that blacks eyes meant... meant... Oh god, was Russia too late? No, no... they still have time. He still has time. He won't... he won't let anyone else collapse in front of him again.

In America's hands were what looked to be two broken stars. Not only that, but now that Russia had a good view of America's face, he could tell there was something off. The structure of his stars was different...

Almost like a few stars were missing.

Russia watched as America shakily stood up and turned to face Russia fully, letting go of the broken stars. Russia saw them hit the floor and shatter into a million tiny pieces. America whispered something, but Russia couldn't hear it. Russia frowned, slowly moving closer to America.

"THEY'RE GONE!" Dream America repeated, much louder this time. Russia, startled by the sudden yelling, grimaced.

America flinched at the unexpected volume of his own voice and stumbled backwards a little bit, getting closer to the edge of the cliff. America started shaking his head hysterically, a fresh round of tears adorning his cheeks, "They're gone and it's all my fault," America spoke softly, slowly walking backwards, "it's all my fault, it's all my-"

America's breath caught in his throat and Russia's heart lurched in pure fear.

America's left foot was off the edge.

Russia immediately sprinted towards America as the striped country started falling. Russia stretched out his hand to grab hold of America. Russia managed to grasp a piece of fabric on America's sleeve and felt triumph flow through him

...But America was too heavy, and the piece of fabric slipped right through Russia's grip.

Time seemed to slow down as America plummeted towards the earth, his expression one of shock and his suit jacket whipping around him. America looked down and you could tell how he wished he didn't, the way his face contorted in fear and the way his limbs suddenly scrabbled to grab hold of anything- ANYTHING- only to grab hold of nothing. Russia could do nothing as he saw the one person he had ever loved plummet closer and closer to the ground. He could do nothing, and it broke him inside.

"AMERICA!" Russia screamed. But screaming would do no good. America was too far away. He was too close to the ground, he was getting closer by the second-