Ch 42: A Piece of Cake \\ The Game Plan

It's easy to forget that dreams don't last forever.

But they all end eventually.

And so, gradually, America felt the feeling of Puerto Rico in his arms slip away until there was nothing.

But it wasn't long until America felt himself waking up in the arms of someone else.

They were strong, and gripped onto America as if he could slip away any second. But America wasn't going anywhere, not any time soon. There was feeling in his arms and legs, his body collectively made by the states. But everything felt... off, and that's mainly how America could tell that this body wasn't the one he was used to.

Honestly, he was pretty confused. There was a hole in his memory where things should've been, an unexplainable blank filled with confusing, contradicting feelings. He was pretty sure the feelings in that blank of time were the state's feelings spilling over into his own consciousness. How that worked, he had no idea. All he truly knew was that he was being hugged, held by someone. Someone afraid. Someone relieved. Someone America knew all too well. Was it weird that America's heart skipped a beat a little when he recognized him?

No... No, probably not.

America smiled a little bit, warmly saying, "Hi, Russ."

The person holding America stiffened a little bit before relaxing and squeezing America tighter, "Hi, you dork." Russia said back in his stupidly amazing voice. Was it weird that America missed it? He didn't even remember the time he missed. At least... not really.

America smiled faintly, hugging Russia back. Yeah, maybe it was weird that he missed Russia's voice, but America didn't care. He felt like it had been forever since he had seen Russia, even though his final clear memory was of Russia holding him, just like this.

His final clear memory... it was of him confessing his feelings for Russia.

If America was being honest, he thought he was going to die in that moment. Pain had been stretching throughout his limbs, overwhelming his every nerve. In the mental confusion, he did the only thing he could do. The thing he didn't even know would work.

I guess it did work, cause America was back now.

He was alive, not dead.

To be honest, America still didn't know exactly what was going on and what kind of foe he was facing, just that Puerto Rico was somehow a part of it. America should ask him sometime... but how? America couldn't ignore the spike of pain that seemed to shoot through him when he and Puerto Rico made eye contact, making him freeze in his very spot. Something had... happened to Puerto Rico while America was down for the count, and America doubted it was good.

... It was odd, really.

America cared more about Puerto Rico's well-being than his own.

He didn't... he didn't blame Rico at all for trying to kill him. Maybe he should. But... those few moments, it... it gave him a sense of clarity he wouldn't be able to reach under normal circumstances.

In that moment... he so desperately didn't want to die. In that moment, all the guilt and horror that had been plaguing him disappeared, and all that was left was a crippling fear, a voice inside him yelling, screaming at him not to die.

But even through all of that- the desperation and the fear- America didn't blame Puerto Rico.

America didn't blame Puerto Rico for a single thing.

Puerto Rico was scared. He was trapped. So he acted out.

And America didn't even notice.