Ch 23: Thank you \\ The Tears

Russia didn't know why that had popped into his mind, but as the thought repeated itself into Russia's mind, the more Russia could see the signs that the thought was true. Though Russia couldn't see America's eyes due to his sunglasses. But the way America held himself- his posture, everything- it felt wrong somehow. Russia knew the way America held himself: confident and challenging. But this... this wasn't it. Russia couldn't describe it correctly even if he tried. It was just wrong somehow. Scared, empty. Like there was supposed to be personality there but there wasn't any.

Russia needed to talk to America about this. Whatever was going on, Russia wanted to help. He wanted to be there for it, to help America with it. But he couldn't rat America out in front of UN. If he did, Russia was 100% sure that America wouldn't be truthful with his answer. They needed to talk privately.

"Hi, Meri!" Russia smiled at America, realizing he hadn't responded to America earlier, "Could we talk in private real quick?"

America shot Russia a questioning glance, before smiling and responding, "Sure, I just have to give something to UN first."

America walked up to UN and pulled something out of his pocket. America handed UN a sealed envelope. Russia asked himself why the heck America would need to give UN that, but quickly brushed it off as some sort of signed paper.

America lowered his voice so that only UN could hear, "Keep this safe for me, ok?"

UN immediately shot America a confused look, "What do you mean by that?"

America simply smiled and answered vaguely, "Exactly as I said. Just keep it safe."

UN immediately shot Russia a confused glance even though Russia couldn't hear a word America said. In fact, UN's confused look only made Russia nervous about what the heck they were talking about in the first place. Russia scolded himself. It wasn't any of his business, it's not like he's America's boyfriend or anything.

... Even though he really wants to be.

America turned around, still smiling, "Okay Russ, let's go talk."

Russia was about to protest and ask what the heck just happened, but America grabbed him by the arm before he could and, with strength Russia didn't expect, dragged Russia to a nearby room. The room they entered had a conference table in the center with lots of chairs surrounding it. There was also a window with a blue curtain. America walked towards the window, turning towards Russia once he reached it.

"So, what's up, Russ? Do you need help with something, or was this just an excuse to talk?"

Russia frowned and walked in front of America, getting straight to the point, "What's wrong, America? You can tell me."

Worry and Confusion flashed on America's face for a split second before being replaced with another million-dollar smile. That split second was all Russia needed to confirm he was right. Something was wrong, and America was hiding it. Again. Was this the same problem America was having last month? Had America been struggling with this problem for a month without bothering to tell anyone?

America simply waved Russia's worry off, however, "Nothing's wrong, Russia! You're worrying too much about me." America separated himself from the window and started walking around the room, obviously avoiding eye contact.

Russia felt worry and frustration build up inside of him. Why would America hide something that's obviously bothering him? Why didn't he think it was okay to talk about it? "Meri!" Russia accidentally shouted. He didn't mean to be so loud, but his voice unintentionally followed Russia's emotions.

America jumped a little at Russia's yell and turned to see Russia with a frustrated expression on his face. America stayed silent, unsure of what to say. After a few moments of Russia forcing his frustration away so that he could focus on helping America, Russia's expression softened, "Please, tell me. I can tell that something's wrong. I swear I won't tell anyone about it if you don't want me to; but, please, I just want to know what's wrong."