Ch 30 Pt 1: A Story from Me to You

Before we start this chapter, I want to say a few things. This chapter was originally going to be about double this size, but it was starting to get too long so I split it in two. Thus, there will be a second part to this.

Secondly, I tried to base some of the events of this chapter on real events in history with some creative liberties taken, of course. If you ever feel like it, feel free to search up the events in this chapter, I tried to be as accurate as possible.

-Selva

~~~~

Ba-dump

Ba-dump

Ba-dump

...

~1515

I tried to wet my mouth in the heat. I felt tired, and if I could I would've stopped to rest my aching feet, maybe even drink some water that I so desperately wanted.

But I didn't have that luxury.

I tightened my grip on my mother's hand. We were running, fleeing. From what, I had no idea. I glanced around at the people fleeing with us. They were mom's people. They looked hungry, tired, and desperate. But even so, they had a fire in their eyes I couldn't describe even if I tried to.

I glanced at the rainforest around us. Its unknown depths seemed to reach out at me. Scared, I asked in a tongue long lost to time, "How much farther?"

My mother, called Borikén by the others, looked back at me with a pained expression, "I do not know," She gripped my hand tighter, looking straight ahead, "Come on, we must hurry if we are to reach the boats in time."

She quickened her pace and I was dragged along. I kept on tripping and stumbling, but she only kept on walking faster, a fearful look on her face. I saw relief wash over her as we reached the coast, where a few boats were bobbing by the shore. We quickly ran down to the boats and my mother started lifting small children onto the boats. When she had no one left to lift up to the boats, she hurriedly picked me up to put me on the boats as well.

BANG!

With the sudden noise, my mother cried out in pain and dropped me. I saw her left arm shoot out to cover a hole that had suddenly appeared in her right arm. Meanwhile, I went face-first into the sand. As I scrambled back to my feet in confusion and concern for my mother, she yelled for everyone to sail away as quickly as possible. Complying with my mother's wishes, our people started pushing the boats away from the shore. The minute she saw our people starting to run away, my mother's head jerked towards a man at the edge of the clearing, a weird, long stick in his hands. She growled as she moved between me and the man to protect me, "Spain."

My eyes widened and I cowered behind my mother. The bad man. That was the bad man everyone talked about.

His face twisted into a smirk as he gripped his long stick, "Bueno, bueno, bueno, ¿qué me escondes, Borikén querida?"

My mother's eyes flashed with rage as she continued to grip her arm. My eyes widened when I saw blood dripping down from the place she was holding. "No soy tu querida," I heard my mother hiss out as she eyed the line of the forest before us.

The bad man's face suddenly became very serious, and I felt chills ripple down my spine. He spoke in a low, dangerous tone, "Creo que tienes algo que me pertenece."

I saw anger once again flash on my mother's face. But it was more than that. I could've sworn I saw fear there, too. She whispered so that only I could hear, "Run while I distract him."