Chapter 41: Sorry \\ The Words Finally Tumble Out

Pain, then black.

That's the last thing Puerto Rico could remember.

The last thing that he felt. The last thing he saw.

A spike of unbelievable pain, then black.

But now, here he was, surrounded by white.

Where... was he?

His breathing was uneven. His thoughts scrambled.

He wasn't alone here.

There was another person here.

They weren't supposed to be here.

They're uninvited.

They needed to get out.

Despite his vision that constantly seemed to go unfocused, Puerto Rico could've sworn that the other person there was Guam.

This all felt like some sick joke. Like a prank no one asked for. The world giving Puerto Rico a great, big "fuck you."

Puerto Rico messed up. He knew this now.

He never should've gotten involved with Confederate.

He should've left the minute he felt something was up. The minute he learned of Confederate's plan...

But...

Why would he leave when Confederate offered such an amazing solution to his problems?

An extreme, sure, but an extreme that could work.

Especially with that... thing wrapped around Confederate's fingers. Or was it the other way around? Puerto Rico was never sure which one was truly in control.

Point is, they were both fearsome. One a monster, and the other a nightmare.

It was a good combination if you ignore their... craziness. It was part of the deal.

Puerto Rico clung to them too fast. He should've jumped ship faster.

But then again, Puerto Rico has a tendency to get too close to the wrong people, doesn't he?

At least this way he won't cling to anyone anymore.

Maybe Confederate had done the right thing, killing Puerto Rico.

Confederate had promised him independence and a family... Now he's independent and his family is all of hell. Seems fitting.

Puerto Rico looked around, his mind strangely empty, filled with a sense of numbness Puerto Rico couldn't explain.

...

...

This had to be some sort of cruel joke.

Around Puerto Rico were the states and territories and...

Oh.

Puerto Rico was face to face with Dad.

America, I mean.

Face to face with yet another person who didn't really care about Puerto Rico.

America seemed frozen in place. Rico had a strong urge to run. To where, he had no idea. Just... run. America looked helplessly, almost confusedly, at Puerto Rico, and Puerto Rico's expression seemed to harden.

Since he was dead, he might as well let out his frustrations, right?

Plus... he kinda felt bad.

He didn't want America to die, he just...

He really was Confederate's obedient little sheep, wasn't he?