Ch 31: Red and Blue Lights \\ The Hospital

Everything was a blur of red and blue lights.

One moment, everything was normal; but in the next, tears were forming in America's eyes and he had collapsed onto the floor. Russia could do nothing but scream out America's name and pull America in his lap, desperately crying and shouting for him to stay with him. Russia was terrified then, but now he just felt numb and cold.

I suppose seeing paramedics pulling the only person you've ever loved who isn't family onto an ambulance after you saw him fall and go limp in your very arms can do that to you.

Seeing America fall like that...

S̶͍̀̃e̷̻̅ẻ̷̢̳i̵̛̱̙̫̾͑n̵̼̒̊̒g̵͎̀̑ ̷͙̼̊̈́h̷̤̹̠̓͘͠i̴͕͌͒̋s̸͙̩̄̏̎ ̷̤̣͐̍ḟ̶͙̜͐̄ä̶̲̲́̈̆ṱ̵͉̍͌h̵̝̯̱̍̅e̸̜̾̏̚ṟ̶̡̮̂͑͝ ̷̳̫͊f̴̘͓̭̆̍ǎ̸͈͎l̸̤̟͒̒l̵͎̈́̀̕ ̷̧̺̰̋̉l̸̻͑͐͠ì̶̺̮̥k̴̪͈̓e̴̲͂̓ͅ ̸͍̋t̸̜̭̐̉́h̷̛͚̅̄ͅa̴̡̱̣͘t̴̫͐͗́.̶̙̭̝̽̓.̶̯̦̌.̷̟̥̝͊́

...

...Russia needed a drink.

But he couldn't. America came first.

Russia felt a hand patting his back sympathetically and turned to see Japan, her cat ears flat against her head. Russia had never seen her look so down. She seemed to struggle with words before quietly saying, "I'm so sorry, Russia... Nobody saw this coming until... he..."

Russia saw tears start to form in her eyes before he looked back at the ambulance, his heart plummeting.

"Nobody saw this coming, but I did," He muttered, guilt forming a hole in his chest. This was all his fault... If only he had told someone- anyone- about America's cracks, none of this would've happened...

Russia, like a ghost disconnected from the world around it, watched as the back doors of the ambulance closed and a paramedic went to the driver's seat, driving away towards the hospital as the ambulance's sirens blared and echoed around in Russia's ears.

Suddenly jumping out of his shocked state, Russia ran up to one of the drivers UN had commissioned and yelled at the driver to follow the ambulance to the hospital. The human driver hurriedly nodded in fear of the Russian before him and started following the ambulance the best he could. Eventually, the hospital turned left straight into a hospital. However, the driver couldn't enter the hospital that way, so Russia instead ordered him to go to the front of the hospital.

Upon reaching the front, Russia ran inside the hospital, scaring the lady at the front desk. After Russia practically shouted at the poor lady asking where America was, she quickly searched up America on her computer and, after reading whatever it said and casting a quick look at Russia's flag, stammered out, "I'm s-sorry, but only f-family is allowed to see him ri-right now."

To Russia's luck, however, Australia and New Zealand rushed inside, asking the front lady the same question Russia did just moments before. The lady looked at their flags, then at her computer screen, and, after a frustrated look at Russia, who was still very much in earshot, told the two America's room number, A327.

Just as they started rushing over to the elevators, Russia stopped them. Australia gave Russia a pissed look before shoving past him towards the elevators. New Zealand stayed where she was, obviously hesitating. Russia took his chance, begging, "Please, let me come with you. I need to make sure he's ok."

Maybe it was the desperate look in Russia's eyes, maybe it was the vague memories of their night out in the city earlier in the week, or maybe it was a vague combination of the two that led New Zealand to purse her lips and nod, wiping away a few stray tears, "Just, please don't be an asshole..." With those few words and a convincing nod from Russia, New Zealand started heading towards Australia, Russia following her.

Together, they went into the elevator, Australia tapping his foot impatiently and New Zealand clenching and unclenching her skirt in a mixture of nervousness and fear. After a half a minute, though it felt like a lifetime, they reached the third floor, and Australia immediately shot out of the elevator towards America's room, Russia and New Zealand in tow.

When they reached the room, Australia slammed the door open, scaring France, UK, Canada, and an old-looking doctor inside. Australia immediately asked, "What happened?!"

New Zealand joined in, "How is he?!"

Russia stayed silent, but he couldn't help but notice an unconscious America in the hospital bed situated near the window. He felt his heart squeeze at the sight. It felt so much worse seeing him in that hospital bed.

The doctor nervously looked at Australia and New Zealand before looking at his clipboard and releasing a shaky sigh. He then looked up at the entire group, his eyes looking at each of them in turn. Russia noticed with slight discomfort that the doctor's eyes lingered on him a few seconds longer than they should've.

"Well," The doctor started, "I'm going to admit that I'm not entirely sure what the cause is, but I do know one thing from my years of experience: he's falling apart." The doctor's eyes landed on Russia once more, now showing a small glint of accusation, "In fact, his current case is scarily similar to USSR's case."

Russia felt an angry growl start to swell in his throat, but he pushed it down, remembering New Zealand's earlier warning.

France choked out a sob, her hands covering her mouth. UK, looking conflicted and in disbelief, simply held his crying wife from the side. Russia saw tears threatening to flow down Canada's cheeks and New Zealand was full-on crying already. Australia simply looked mad at the world, his eyes burning with shock and rage.

Russia still felt numb, like none of this was really happening to him. Finding his voice, Russia asked, "How much longer does he have?"

Without sparing Russia so much as a glance, the doctor sympathetically looked at America's family, "I'm sorry, but I honestly don't think he'll last the week... I'm so sorry."

Russia felt tears unexpectedly hit him. That soon? All they have is a few measly days left? A few days, and then he's gone forever? Russia felt his throat subconsciously constrict. What will Russia do without America in his life?

The doctor, giving them all space to react to what he just said, left the room with some soft condolences. UK, shocked and almost to the point of tears, gently led his sobbing wife out of the room, trying to comfort France. Despite him being the one to comfort France, however, he was crumbling apart inside. Even though he doesn't show it nearly as much as he should, he cares about all of his children- yes, all of his children, even if they aren't France's- more than he cares about himself. Hearing that America will die by the end of the week gave UK a pain in his heart no father should ever have to feel: the pain of knowing he'll have to see his son die right in front of him.

Kiwi simply shook her head and stumbled backwards, almost hitting the wall. With a small sob, she ran out of the room, unable to handle everything she was feeling. Australia, pushing his anger aside, ran after her to comfort her and to try and stop her from doing anything stupid that might end up hurting her.

Russia watched as Canada, the only other person left in the room at this point, slowly sat on the side of America's bed, his hands shaking. Russia heard him sob and ask, "Why didn't you tell anyone, Ame? We could've done something before... before..."

Another sob escaped Canada's lips and Canada held his head in his hands, his soft sobs filling up the room.

Feeling various waves of sorrow and numbness crashing into him, Russia sat down on a nearby chair and closed his eyes, the wrenching feeling that he was to blame for all of this taking up residence in his heart.

If Russia had told someone- anyone- about America's cracks, things would be different. America would still be smiling and talking to him after meetings about random, stupid things.

...America wouldn't be lying limp in a hospital bed, dying. Sure, if Russia had told someone, America would've hated him for it, but at least he wouldn't die. Feeling fresh, stubborn tears rush down his cheeks, Russia quickly wiped them away, opening his eyes to see...

Russia's nose scrunched in confusion at the strange, unexplainable sight before him.

"Что за хрень- (What the fuck-)"