Ch 13: Rhode Island // The Call to Action

Rhode Island braced herself as the ground shook and pain coursed through her veins. She heard Hawaii scream again and almost cried at the horrid sound. Rhode Island hated seeing or hearing her siblings hurt.

'Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts,' Rhode Island repeated in her head. Eventually, this method worked and Rhode Island started to think about a day oh so long ago. She could still remember it vividly.

~~-~~

Rhode Island looked at her siblings excitedly. Today was the day. The colonies and America had finally officially decided that they would be free from Britain, free to be themselves.

Massachusetts, the first of all of them to be settled, looked at the rest of the colonies, as well as America, and smiled, "We've done it, we'll be free once we win this war!"

Several colonies whooped and whistled loudly, Rhode Island being one of them. She could hear America chuckle in the corner. Rhode Island turned to America, ran up in front of him, and exclaimed, "America, we'll finally be free!"

America smiled, patting Rhode Island on the head, "Yes, we will."

Rhode Island thought about something for a second and then asked, "If you become a country and we become your states, does that make you our dad?"

Virginia choked on air at Rhode Island's question. New York was laughing his ass off. New Jersey glared at his sibling and elbowed him in the side. That seemed to shut New York up.

Rhode Island became confused, "What's so funny?"

Virginia coughed and answered, "I mean, America's already our dad, in a way."

Rhode Island's smile only grew wider, "Really?"

"I mean, yeah. He helped to create all of us. I never saw the Brit as anything more than a hot-headed grandpa." Virginia responded, fiddling with something in his hand.

Rhode Island smiled and looked expectantly at New York and New Jersey, curious about their views on this. They used to be a part of Netherlands ' colony, after all, "What about the Netherlands for you guys? Would he be your dad instead of America?"

New York looked as though he was contemplating it for a moment, before he answered, "Netherlands is our dad, not gonna deny that, but America's like an adoptive father to us if that makes any sense." New Jersey nodded in agreement.

North Carolina grew impatient of their conversation and tapped his foot on the ground, "How long do we have left until we have to merge with America?"

Though the question wasn't directed at him, America responded, "Maybe about one hour until we have to unite."

It was eerily silent as that sentence dawned on everyone. One hour left of being in the real world. One hour left of interacting with someone other than each other. Possibly, one hour left of being alive. None of the states truly knew what was going to happen when they merged. They had heard stories from Britain, but they didn't necessarily trust the old man anymore. Plus, when Britain merged it was originally only three countries merging. The colonies and America were fourteen people merging- they could die when they merged.

North Carolina got up quickly, his expression sour, "Then let's go."

"Go where?" South Carolina asked, her head turning to her brother.

"Anywhere. I don't care. I'm going to go be free in the real world while I still can." With that, North Carolina left the room they were in. America winced when the door was slammed shut. North Carolina was most definitely not happy about this, not like he could be blamed for not wanting to die.