Ch 37: All The Way Down \ The Betrayal

It was late at night when everyone decided to go their separate ways. Alaska looked around, feeling his heart weighing down on his chest. Though he could tell everyone was trying to keep themselves together, he also noticed how close to crying some people were. You could only hold a facade for so long until you crack, after all. France looked like she would burst into tears any second now, and Alaska was pretty sure she already had. She was probably going through shock. I mean, who wouldn't? Hearing that your son might be gone forever should have that effect on people. Actually, Alaska was surprised at the fact she hadn't broken down already. Or anyone, really. I guess when you're a countryhuman, you become really good at acting and faking emotions.

Alaska knew that he was great at it, anyway. Faking a smile all those years ago really does come handy, doesn't it?

Alaska turned to look at Russia. Somehow, he seemed better than what he was on the roof. Maybe it was the determination to bring America back that kept his fire burning. Or maybe it was the desperate need to have him back, Alaska would never know. He could never really understand romantic love, anyway.

All the states had been split between America's family. It was better this way, after all, Confederate would have to deal with these strong countries to get to the states, and the countries could give economic support to the states whenever they needed it. It was kinda funny, actually. When together, the states made the biggest superpower ever, but, when they were split apart, they seemed to be so much weaker.

Alaska wasn't sure about what that said about them.

Currently, Russia was talking with DC. Alaska scoffed. Russia was staying behind, at the hospital. Originally, he would've played the same role as America's family, taking in a few states and helping them, but several states, as well as Britain and Kiwi, objected to that. To put it simply, they didn't trust Russia enough. Maybe it was the remnants of the Cold War or something. The states did, however, begrudgingly allow him to stay behind to protect Hawaii and Rhode Island.

Alaska felt a pang in his heart and he bit his lip. Hawaii. The two had been so close... Alaska should've done something, he should've stopped her... Alaska sighed, pushing his self-blame aside. Now wasn't a good time to blame himself for what had happened. But... Alaska also knew he wouldn't be able to forgive himself if he just sat around and did nothing, waiting for everyone else to fix the problem for him.

Walking up to Russia and DC, he butted into their conversation, "Heyyy, DC?"

DC turned to Alaska, sighing, "What happened this time?"

Alaska clicked his tongue, "Well, I've decided I'm gonna stay behind with Russia to look after Hawaii."

DC's face became confused, then sympathetic, then sad. He sighed, "I can understand why... but no. We can't take any risks. We both know the first place Confederate will return to is the hospital. We can't afford you being there. I'm sorry, Alaska, I really am, but this is for the best."

Alaska clenched his hands into fists, feeling them shake, "I... I wasn't asking, DC."

DC's brows furrowed, "What?"

Alaska looked straight into DC's eyes, plainly showing his determination in his eyes, "I wasn't asking. I'm staying here whether you like it or not- I can handle myself. Also, Russia will be there. We'll be fine. Please..."

DC's brows furrowed slightly in disbelief before he pursed his lips and yelled out, "No! We can't risk it! You just don't seem to understand it, do you?! You aren't just looking after yourself anymore, you're looking after all of us! If Confederate gets you, there's almost no chance we'll ever see America again. America will be gone forever, just like what Confederate wants!" Alaska felt pity fill his heart as he saw tears form in DC's eyes, "I can't lose the only parent I've ever had!"