five

[august]

"What do you mean you don't have social media?!" Hoseok asked in disbelief. Namjoon just shrugged, chewing his sandwich.

"I just don't see the point. I barely use my phone as it is."

"But your brother has, like, a million followers on Instagram and Youtube! He's famous!"

"Another reason why I don't have it."

"I guess that makes sense." Jimin piped in, "That must be a lot of pressure to always have a camera on you."

Namjoon nodded along.

"Well, how are we going to be able to contact you if you don't have Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook, Whatsapp, Tind-"

"Ok Hobi, I think he gets it." Jin interrupted, turning to the teenager. "You have a phone, clearly, why don't we add you to a group chat?"

Namjoon paused.

Was that a good idea?

Wouldn't it make it that much easier for them to pry into his life?

And he knew teenagers. He knew they'd be up late, texting and goofing around, being a distraction...

Namjoon froze, mid-chew, sandwich in hand.

I know teenagers?? What am I talking about, I am a teenager.

And that's when it dawned on him.

God, he sounded like a middle-aged man.

He was being such a...such a...

Such a dad.

Almost immediately after that revelation, he nodded, pulling out his phone to give Jin his contact information when it suddenly started to ring.

His eyebrows furrowed as he read the caller ID.

But mom wouldn't call me unless it was an em-

His eyes widened as he sucked in a breath. Quickly standing and scaring the others in the process, he looked around for the exit.

"S-sorry. I have to take this. You can get my number from Tae!" scooping up his backpack, he hurried out.

Moments later, he found himself alone behind the building, next to the parking lot.

Slightly out of breath, he answered.

"Mom?" he said, still trying to catch his breath.

In the background, he could hear his mother trying to calm the screaming toddler.

Namjoon's heart clenched and he winced at the horrid noise. He hated to hear his son so upset.

"Hey, sweetheart. I know you said not to call unless it was an emergency, but I just couldn't get him to stop crying. It's not really an emergency, I'm sorry I know you're busy-"

"No, it's okay, mom. I-im... I'm aactually glad you called. I miss him already," the teen managed a shaky laugh through large gulps of air.

"Okay, well I think he's just upset that you're not home yet. He's not used to you being gone this long. He's had a frustrating day..."

Namjoon closed his eyes, trying to block out the sorrowful cries of his baby boy.

He was so stupid.

At his old school, Namjoon had skipped a year in classes because of his grades. When Young-Jae was born, he had enough credit to take two study halls.