seventeen

[september]

[flashback]

"Great job today, Namjoon! New play looks good, maybe we'll try it next game," Coach Cheung patted the sweaty teenager on the back, as the rest of them hit the locker rooms.

After another grueling practice, Namjoon was ready to go home, finish his homework, and sleep.

Being the youngest on the high school varsity had its perks, but this was not one of them.

On top of his regular JV training, Coach Cheung made him stay for varsity practice, saying he pushed the teen twice as hard because he knew he had twice the potential.

Yuck.

Namjoon was just a regular fourteen year old boy who wanted to do regular fourteen year old boy stuff.

It wasn't like he was training for the NBA or Korean Nationals...

"Bye guys!" he shouted out, as he left the locker room in an extremely good mood.

His mother just texted, telling him to hurry home because she'd made his favorite, and he'd done well on a test he studied all week for.

Nothing could disrupt his mood.

"Namjoonie!"

Well...

The teenager turned to find his enthusiastic brother, surrounded by a group of friends, and waving at him. He was probably showing off the new Gucci slides he'd bought with his first big paycheck.

Taehyung had started a Youtube channel a few months ago, the view and subscriber count growing rapidly every day.

"Taehyungie, how was school?" Namjoon grinned like a fool, as he greeted the other kids around him.

"Someone must be in a good mood! You never call me that in public," the younger exclaimed as he said goodbye to the students, the brothers taking off towards the bus stop.

Pretty soon, it pulled up, and they jumped on.

"So what if I am? Got a perfect score on my test, the boys didn't joke about my two left feet during practice, and mom made my favorite for dinner..." the eldest beamed, the younger pouting.

"She must love you more, she never makes my favorite," Namjoon pinched the boy's cheeks.

"Liar, she made your favorite last week! Besides, it's hard to eat yours because you're the only one that can stomach it-"

"Hey!"

"Taehyung, dill probably goes great with a lot of things- I wouldn't really know since we just eat Korean food- but I don't think it works well with just soy sauce in a marinade."

"It enhances the flavour."

"Whatever you say."

The two made jokes all the way to their stop, Namjoon sending a quick text to his mother notifying her that they'd be home shortly.

The boy stared out the window for a short while, noticing how perfect the day seemed.

Clear, sunny blue skies, the warm breeze, it even seemed the birds were singing a beautiful melody in the distance.

How perfect.

"Huh? Were we expecting guests today?" Taehyung's voice brought the teen out of his thoughts.

Sure enough, an unknown car was parked in the driveway.

How curious.

The two continued their way to the house, trying to guess who it was.