thirty two

It was around ten at night, and Young-Jae was still hyped up on Christmas spirit.

His grandparents were sitting on the couch, watching a historical soap opera as they monitored the little boy playing with his new toys on the carpet in front of them. Taehyung was also sitting down, aiding the little boy in his attempt to rescue a bear from a mountain.

It was way past the three year old's bedtime, but neither of the grandparents could bring themselves to end his fun.

Besides, it was Christmas.

"Mimi?" Young-Jae glanced up at his grandmother, as she turned her attention to the little boy.

"Yes, sweetheart?" she asked, as the three year old suddenly stood up.

"Can I pwease have some juice?" he asked politely, making the older woman smile. She swiftly stood from the couch.

"Of course, but not too much."

"Yay!" he exclaimed, as he plopped back down on the carpet to continue his rescue.

"Oh, and a tea for me?" Mr. Kim chimed in, his wife raising an eyebrow at him. He looked up to see her hands on her hips. "Please, dear? I love you..." She rolled her eyes with a small smile on her lips before walking away.

Not even minutes later, the doorbell rang.

Taehyung looked up at his father, who made no motion to move. His eyes were still glued to the television, as the teenager rolled his eyes, getting up.

"I'll get it," he huffed, standing and handing Young-Jae the toy car in his hand.

Quickly unlocking the door, he stared at the sheepish-looking boy in front of him for a few seconds before calling over his shoulder.

"Appa! My friend is dropping something off to me. I'm going to speak to him outside for a moment!"

Without turning his attention from the drama on the screen, his father replied, "Hm? Ok. Why don't you invite him in?"

"Can't! He's in his car! He has to leave soon!" Without a reply, the boy quickly closed the door behind him, pushing Jeongguk down the stairs a little.

Young-Jae watched his uncle leave the house, curious.

The other boy looked familiar.

He slowly made his way over to the window, getting behind the curtain so he could peek out. On his tippy toes with his face and hands pressed against the window, he watched the two teenagers walk up the driveway, a little ways away from the house.

It looked like they were raising their voices, Taehyung waving his arms wildly. As he moved his head a little bit, the other boy's face came into view.

Young-Jae jumped a little, smiling at himself for remembering who the boy was. He skipped back to his toys and plopped down on the carpet, just as his grandmother came back into the room with the juice and the tea.

"Thank you!" Young-Jae's little chubby hands grabbed at the sippy cup, as Mrs. Kim made her way back to the spot on the couch next to her husband.

Young-Jae happily sipped his juice as Mr. Kim gave his wife a quick kiss on the cheek for bringing him tea.

"Mimi, guess what Daddy said?" the little boy looked up with a smile on his face.

"What did he say?"

"His name is Cookie! The boy outside! Isn't that funny/"

"Oh really? Is that a nickname?"

"Yup! Thas what Daddy said. And Tata goes on dates with Cookie! Tata said the cookie is his boyfriend!"