forty four

[march]

To say the air was tense would be an understatement.

If you had set a bomb off in the middle of the confrontation, told everyone the air was poisonous and they would all die in seconds...

That's probably what the tension felt like.

Suffocating.

Deadly.

Other hazardous words I can't think of off the top of my head.

The four of them stood around for more than a few moments before Seulgi let out a small sigh.

"Well, can I come in and talk?"

Namjoon remained silent, contemplating his next course of action. He looked over at Jin, who was still unmoving from the doorway.

"Um," he mumbled out, as the two males made eye contact.

Jin made a move, to come over and tap the three year old on the back.

"H-hey, Young-Jae. Let's go inside and find the drawings you wanted to show Daddy. How's that sound?"

The little boy looked between the two men, before silently nodding and allowing his father to pass him over to Jin.

Namjoon watched as the two disappeared up the stairs, before sighing and turning towards Seulgi.

"Come in."

-

Young-Jae was talking to Jin as he searched around the room for his colouring stuff, but the older's mind was somewhere else.

The minute Namjoon called the girl Seulgi, Jin's heart dropped to his stomach.

He knew that this was Young-Jae's biological mother, and that scared him.

It wasn't that he was nervous about what Namjoon might do, but more so why she was there at that moment.

Why had she decided to come back now of all times?

"Jinnie!" the three year old exclaimed once again, trying to snap the man out of his thoughts.

"Hmm? Yeah, sorry- what did you say?" He turned to Young-Jae who had his colouring sheets held tightly in his grasp.

"Who's the lady downstairs?"

Jin's heart pounded in his chest. He didn't know how to respond.

How do you tell a three year old that their mother who never showed prior interest in their well-being and practically abandoned them when they were born was now suddenly back and wanting to talk?

"U-um. I think she's a friend of your daddy," Jin sighed, as he picked up the small boy. "Why don't we let them talk for a bit? We can play on the Switch or something."

The three year old pouted a little, wanting to see his father all day, but ultimately understood.

"Okay...but then I can show Daddy my pictures? And ask him about you being my appa?"

Jin had almost forgotten about Young-Jae's 'appa' incident with the sudden shock, and hearing him talk about it now under these new circumstances just felt weird.

Don't get him wrong, it still warmed his heart to hear the little boy call him that, but he just felt like now may not be the appropriate time to say something.

Nonetheless, he nodded and sighed.

"Yes, you can do all that stuff after they talk," Jin replied, as he took Young-Jae to Taehyung's room where the teenager had just bought a new gaming console.