nineteen

[october]

October thirteenth, a Thursday.

Also Jimin's birthday.

When the teenager arrived at school, he was promptly greeted by an overly excited Hoseok and a few confetti poppers.

Half the hallway screamed an off-key rendition of 'happy birthday', leaving Jimin red and slightly embarrassed.

-

"So, what's the plan exactly?" Jimin asked at lunch, as they sat around the table, sharing a small boxed pastry Yoongi bought at the school cafeteria and stuck a candle in.

"It's a surprise!" Hoseok smiled, wiggling his eyebrows at Taehyung and Jeongguk who'd helped him plan.

"Don't know what that means, but should we be worried?" Jin raised a questioning eyebrow.

"Of course not! Do I look like an extravagant party-planning kind of guy to you?"

"Uh, no comment."

The group went silent, staring at Hoseok, waiting for him to give a hint or something.

"Okay fine, I'll tell you!" he exclaimed, dramatically. "We're throwing it at Jeongguk's house, and there's going to be games and drinks and a really big cake."

If it was at the youngest's house, it was bound to be extravagant.

"Who's invited?" Jimin asked, his best friend shrugging nonchalantly.

"Oh you know, not that many. Just your close friends and your mates-"

Jimin's eyebrows scrunched in confusion, Hoseok's response sounding ridiculously suspicious.

"Classmates..." he corrected himself, before noticing Jimin squinting his eyes, skeptical that there was still more. "Whole class...mates ?" Hoseok said, before huffing.

"Okay the whole grade."

Jin scoffed, shoving food in his mouth. "Uh huh, Mr. 'Not Extravagant Planning Party Kind of Guy'."

"I mean look on the bright side, at least it wasn't as crazy as last year, right?" Jeongguk pipped in.

"Oh, hey! You came to the party last year?" Hoseok asked, a smile on his face.

Yoongi snorted, pulling the unlit candle out of the pastry so Jimin could eat it.

"How could we not. You invited the entire school to an indoor bounce park that you rented out completely with minimal adult supervision. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Of course we went."

Jin, nodding in agreement and pointing at Yoongi, turned to Hoseok with a look that said 'See, someone gets it'.

Hoseok was about to retaliate when the bell rang, signaling next period.

The boys began packing up, Yoongi pulling Jimin along to their next class, leaving the rest of the boys to pick up their trash.

-

"You ready?" Taehyung knocked on the doorframe, Young-Jae on his hip.

The two were playing in the living room, waiting for Namjoon to get ready for the party.

"Yeah, just gotta find my-" Young-Jae dangled the keys he was holding out for his father

"-keys...thanks baby," Namjoon sighed, taking the keys and the child and following Taehyung down the stairs.

"Oh, I'm so glad my two boys are going out and having some fun!" Mrs. Kim smiled, hugging them as they put on their shoes.

"And don't worry about Young-Jae, we're going to bake some cookies, and watch a few movies. How does that sound, Young-Jae? Want to bake some cookies with Mimi?"